• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tilt steering

WARWAG

I just did a search and I had NO luck finding any of those threads. Glad I saved the links from them. The thread must have been named something different and went into something about a steering column...... OH well I thought for sure the search would have found those threads.

AllenEM

yea I searched too before I posted. I would have bet money on their be posts on this. but nothing came up.
I figured it will be a plug and play swap but thought I ask.

lavarok

No, in fact now that I recall the one from the 'burb is sitting in storage and the one in my truck came from a '87 parts truck (gas) I bought from Aboonski.

Hasdrubal

I have one in my M1009, got it for $70.00. Bolts right up. Had driven my friends CUCV with one and really liked the feel of the thicker, smaller diameter steering wheel. While the tilt function is somewhat usefull, its the intermittent wiper feature that makes this mod a must do.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to change out a steering column on a 84 chevy truck a couple of years ago. I went looking for used and could not find one at that time. I then went looking for a refurbished one and came across the following link. For grins and giggles, I priced the tilt unit and it was only about 25 clams more than the regular unit. Really made a difference as I always had a tilt on all the older trucks I had of those series. It was plug and play...

If you want one refurbished or new: Steering Columns Galore's Steering Column Home Page

Hollowman

Hasdrubal,
I put a tilt column in my '85 CUCV and I couldn't figure out how to make use of the intermittent wiper feature. Can you tell me what to hook up and where? I would love to have that working. Overall I really like the tilt wheel but for some reason mine has recently developed a pretty serious "wobble" in the titl mechanism. I looked around on other truck sites and found the repair steps for it and it looks like its going to be a PITA. Oh well.

Iceman3005

Fixing the wobble is pretty easy, just take your time. I did mine last year. Buy the compression tool for the column, makes taking the clip thats holds everything together off a lot easier.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter

edpdx

How involved is the R&R? Do you have to pull the steering box an Pitman?

Last edited:

48cj2a

Not in any particular order but I think I listed everything...

Remove lower column dash panel (plastic)
Remove lower dash panel (metal)
Disconnect all the wiring connectors on the column under the dash (hardest part)
Unbolt the firewall plate under the dash
Unbolt the two column to dash studs
Unbolt the ragjoint bolts to gearbox
Pull the shifter linkage clip
Unbolt the firewall engine side studs

Brent.Cain

NO GEAR BOX AND PITMAN ARM REMOVAL

UNDER HOOD:

- pull gear shift arm pin
- unbolt the steering sector shaft (one bolt)

IN CAB:

- Pull lower dash covers plastic and steel
- Remove gauge cluster bezel so you can remover the little wire that shows you what gear your in
- Start to remove any electric plugs you can easily see and reach cause after your truck is probably 25 years old if not older
- Remove bolts out of fire wall (6)
- Remove bolts holding steering column in place (2) so the steering column can drop and you can reach your other plugs easily

FYI: the bolts you remove from the fire wall holds a two part plate. You don't have to remove the other two bolts on under the hood that holds them plates together. The column will come out with that plate still attached. you may have to remove that plate and switch it over to the new column but that is it

GoinNutts

If you are careful you do not need to remove the cluster. If I remember you only have a clip and small screw that holds the gear indicator cable to the skirt on the column. If you have truck in park just lower column a couple inches and you can reach the cable. As you lower column watch gear position indicator and it will look like the gears are changing and stop before you reach low gear or you can rip cable from cluster. Pop of the cable and then pivot down column and easy access to all the plugs.

If you are replacing w/ used column you might try opening it up and lock titing the 4 tilt crown bolts. These are famous for coming loose and causing a wobbling steering wheel. You can do it in the truck but you can only get to 1-2 bolts because the lower skirt can't be removed in the truck.

It sounds and looks harder than it is. Take your time and it is fairly straight forward.

Good luck[thumbzup]

Hasdrubal

I thought I would add this. I went to bypass the 3 caps/noise suppressors and plug the harness directly into the wiper motor. Heard it would give the wipers more juice, read here that they drain about half the energy going to your wiper motor. Not that mine were particularly slow. Well first thing I noticed is that my intermittent feature no longer worked and the wipers were on all the time, so went back to rerouting through the noise suppressors.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks