• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time Focusing on the Trailers

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Spent sometime this weekend working on the trailers.

The M101A3 trailer needed a new hitch since someone jacknifed the trailer while in service. I had to bit the bullet and bought a used hitch assembly off of Austin Aviation. Price was high but didn't have a choice considering these are available much and the one I had was in bad shape.

The mounting bolts are four 3/4 and two are easy on the outside. The other two are deep inside the tongue and proved inaccessible to sockets and my ratchet wrenches. I ended up using the double offset box end wrench shown and got them in quite easy with it. That was fun

Replaced the composite lights since both had frayed wiring and were inop in certain lights. Put on new ones I had laying around. Opened the old ones up and noted the blackout lights are LED but the others are bulbs.

I plan on putting on side lights. I am placing them below the box not in the location shown. I couldn't hold them up in the proper place and take the picture at the same time.

Swapped out a tire on my M1061A1 trailer with my spare. Tire had some impressions in it from being stored in the carrier but not weathering or other obvious damage.

I had to assemble the air chamber, master cylinder, and brake lines that were damaged by GL forklift. Hopefully everything works and I'll be bleeding these brakes along with the 101A3 trailer brakes. Assembling the bleeder system as shown in other threads.

Still have to repair the parking brake on the 1061 and also the 101A3. Both have bent/broken handle parts and are not interchangable with spares that I have on hand. Will be looking for those.

Also replacing several broken reflectors and some other items.

I did install two cockpit lights in the CUCV. I have two types, metal and plastic ones. I like the metal ones better but the plastic ones already had the wiring plugs installed so I slapped them on in just minutes. Put one on each side just behind the shoulder belt area.

Attachments