• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for a new to me 4x4

Papa2three

I would like to thank everyone in advance for the plethora of information on these forums and for the time its taken to gather it all.
Now to the meat and potatoes. I have decided to get a new to me 4x4 DAILY DRIVER that would have to frequently drive from NY to MI. I am currently looking at military blazers and jeep zj/wj grand cherokees. Yes I understand that this is an apple and oranges type of question but this is what I am looking for. The vehicle must be able to seat my 3 daughters and dog comfortably, have 4x4 for the upstate NY winters, and be reliable.
I have always wanted a military blazer ever since I was enlisted. The appeal of the blazer is its size and being able to use a 50/50 blend of used oil and fresh diesel, not to mention its simplicity relative to newer vehicles. The down side being that I have doughnut for diesel experience and would have to rely upon finding a diesel tech that knows what they are doing and that I can trust.
The Grand Cherokee is comfortable, easy to find parts for, what I cannot fix myself my mechanic can. There is also an extensive after market for the Grand Cherokee. The down side being the complexity of emissions, computers, sensors and not being able to pour my motor oil into the tank for fuel.
Apples and oranges I know...Oh and yes if money were not an option at all I would get the blazer and have it completely redone because they are just way cooler. At the end of the day I just don't want to be sitting on the side of the road kicking myself.

3dAngus

No military version of anything is really good for long distance driving.
I love green, but if putting my three daughters in it, I would go with a civilian built for the road, anything.

Most MV's are really built for off road conditions. They are NOT comfortable. Not the intention. They are war machines.

Get both.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you have found, finding someone to work on the 25+ year old vehicle will be the biggest hurdle. You will be your best choice.

The M1009 can be a reliable daily driver. Just remember that you WILL be working on it.

Parts are not that hard to find as the truck is 95% civvy parts. One thing I have found is that the parts houses are not stocking the parts at the local stores. They are making room for the newer vehicle parts. They are having to order them from the warehouse. This goes for all older vehicles. So plan accordingly.

The diesel engine and 24v electrical system are not that bad. Just takes some on-the-job training. I had never seen a CUCV until 3 years ago. Now people here think I'm an expert. Jokes on them.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

You need to download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.

www.jatonkam35s.com
www.liberatedmanuals.com

The wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.
Also checkout the CUCV stickys. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:

Digital Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

Warthog

Papa2three

Thanks for the rapid response. MMmmhhmm I know they aren't all that comfortable. I have left several helmet dents in the roof of those blazers while I was in. Luckily for me the apple didnt fall far from the tree and my girls all think military trucks are pretty cool. I will heed your advice and stick to a civi model vehicle and pick up a green toy to play with on the side.

lowandslow

I had an '97 I6 ZJ with the selec-trac transfer case. It was super comfortable and great in the winter. It doesn't have the aftermarket that wranglers and cherokees have but It doesn't sound like you need an end all trail killer lol. Unlike the smaller jeeps it also tows pretty well. And really, most importantly and quite a lot differently than MV's A well optioned limited is COMFY, and still cheap. The engines go for 300k too with preventative maintenance.

OL AG '89

a BIG HOWDY from TX to youenz up there.
If you were looking for a daily driver for just you then by all means the 1009 is the BOMB!!!
Unless you live in a climate that see 100 plus in the shade for more than a couple days....
Your second choice of a Jeep is nice, but for the money a chevy tahoe or suburban would be more my choice. Jeeps are still VERY pricey around here, while the chevy's seem to be more reasonably priced. If its an occasional trip with all of you, then still with the Jeep you may be a little cramped. I know how MUCH STUFF girls tend to bring with them.... Maybe a CUCV II would be an answer......

mktopside

Banned
As you have found, finding someone to work on the 25+ year old vehicle will be the biggest hurdle. You will be your best choice.

The M1009 can be a reliable daily driver. Just remember that you WILL be working on it.

Parts are not that hard to find as the truck is 95% civvy parts. One thing I have found is that the parts houses are not stocking the parts at the local stores. They are making room for the newer vehicle parts. They are having to order them from the warehouse. This goes for all older vehicles. So plan accordingly.

The diesel engine and 24v electrical system are not that bad. Just takes some on-the-job training. I had never seen a CUCV until 3 years ago. Now people here think I'm an expert. Jokes on them.
+1

I drive mine daily, and I wrench on it in some way every week. The key to having a reliable CUCV is staying ahead of the game. Don't wait until a component 100% fails to replace it.

The best mod you can do to your CUCV is............AAA with 100 mile towing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks