• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for Singles?

frankentruck

I have been working on my deuce for several months now. Much of what I've done has been brake work. First, I replaced the master cylinder. Then a wheel cylinder blew out, so I replaced that. Next, I put on a new air pack. That caused another wheel cylinder to go, so now I am at the point of replacing all the wheel cylinders.

I have been thinking of putting singles on in the back, but I put it off because it seems like a big job. Now that I have to pull all the wheels anyway for brake work, it may be the right time to switch to singles. I found the hub flip diagram on this site, but no instructions. Any ideas?

Also, it is necessary to flip the hubs? It seems I could put the wheels on without flipping. I know they will be out of line with the front wheels, but is that a big problem? Another thought is to add some kind of plate to the wheel to extend the wheel out and bring it in line.

Finally, what exactly are super singles? Are they a special wheel and tire size? Could I just reverse the dual wheel and use that? My truck came with six additional wheels and tires, but I don't know if they are super singles or not.

I hope to get started on this next weekend, so any ideas, suggestions, or warnings would be much appreciated.

Thanks, all.

Steven

Alredneck

Banned
Yea buddy, its a big job alright big rubber that is!!! Check out my thread on "APoc ready to plunder and pilage" in the deuce mod & hotrod forum it will answer alot of questions about keeping it simple. Still no problems with mine. Have fun you will enjoy it, it a whole new beast with big rubber!! Captain

frankentruck

Thanks much for the point in the right direction. I saw some photos on a website about hub flipping that was useful. I understand that came from cranetruck. Great stuff.

I am inclined to go ahead and do it while I have the wheels up. Wish me luck.

Alredneck

Banned
Or you can put them on stock rims yourself or pay someone to do it $20-30ea.
395/85R20 XMLs (46s) 14R20 tube, stock flap, stock split rim. Just a wee bit of rubbing on full lock, right hand turns ( on the drag link ).

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alredneck,

I don't think I'd ever read a thread with someone putting 395's on stock rims. Are there any other issues besides the rubbing? Tire wear? Handling? You did the standard drum flip correct?

Thanks,

sermis

There have been a few threds on using the 15.5's / 395's on stock rims. I tried and kept pinching the tube and it is a B***H to get the lock rings on.
If you could compress the tire it would work better.
They might crown some in the center but if you keep the presure low it should not matter much.
I only run about 35 psi and they seam to do well but I have 10" rims now.

Alredneck

Banned
Hey Sermis you see how Dales doin it in the pic they went on no probs. We just made sure we let air out of the tube, also dale been doin split rims on big truck along time he said, so maybe he has a knack for it. He definantly has good balance cause I got up there and tried that out and was like WTF!!! If the rings are clean that helps also along with spraying liberal amount of WD40. If you also notice the backside of the rime is off the ground so when you put the tire on even with out standing on it, its real close to get the ring on maybe 3/4 inch so then just walk around the edge of tire with your wieght holding it down with one foot and the other holds the ring in place till you get it started then dont stop till she on. They do crown a hair but ride pretty good for big arse rubber im still runnin like 55 psi I think and would like to lower it to 40 if not 35 and see how she does but on the road no problems. Not balanced either. I have put a couple hundred mile on these tires so far and they a wearing real well.Still need to do a real offroad test in them.

Alredneck

Banned
Everythings stock no hub flip, the rim dished in (you can run the rims either way just like on the big rig trucks ). If you look in the deuce hotrod forum, youll see a thread by me called "Apocs ready to plunder and pillage" its all about how the tires are mounted I perfer the keep it simple approach. some guys on here say it will eat your bearings, mine are doin fine and no extra heat build up in the hubs on or after long trips, but the longest trip I have took it on is for maybe 120 miles at a time. But theres probably over 500 miles on this setup and still going. If and when I do get some extra money I want to get some Odirons rims for the front so they dont rub no more ( it only does it on full right turns ) and so I can get rid of the split rims and tubes eventually.

Alredneck

Banned
Not yet here soon the truck goin to be put to the test, it goin from Eglin AFB, FL to FT Rucker, AL. to Memphis, TN with maybe a stop or to inbetween who knows. It will be pulling my dodge 2500 and everything I own also. Thats for my Medical retirement so after I sign out at finance at Rucker then I may take my time and make a few stops along the way back to Memphis. We'll see it also depends on how much oil I collect by then :D

Streetgliderx

Alredneck you goin down hwy 72 when you come thru bama???? i live 2 seconds off 72!!! i would love to catch you at a fuelin station!!!!.. and i been serching for your plunder thread but i cant find it!!!

Alredneck

Banned
Yea man I go up 72, I will pm before I head up on my trip its still a couple months away! I dug the thread out of the grave and is on the main page and will be post some new pics and updates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks