• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timing problem on MEP-002A

jmpratt

Gents,
I have a MEP-002a that I checked the timing on using the PC method. The port doesn't close until the PC mark is out of view (I'd say about 8 dashed lines from the PC mark). Is it possible for the IP to be so far out of whack? I just rebuilt the IP and it looks like is in good condition. I put the original timing button back on, but I didn't check to see what size it was. The pump is stamped "1.091". The unit has about 900 hours on the meter and runs at idle, but won't hold a load (which makes sense if the timing is so late.

Any suggestions?

-Jason

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that the IP is off by one tooth on the cam gear from the sound of it. Get #1 cylinder back up to TDC and the PC mark lined up and see if you can get an 1/8" piece of wire through the timing hole in the IP.

When the PC mark is lined up correctly and the IP has the 1/8" wire in the hole, the timing pretty much has to be correct.

jmpratt

Speddmon,
I installed the IP per the TM as you suggested. Twice. I even tried another IP from a unit the runs great (holds 6kw like it was nothing). Both were closing at about the same spot. I guess the only way the unit could be out of whack is if the cam shaft is off by a tooth with the crankshaft? The flywheel can't be off because of the key that holds it on only fits one way, right?

-Jason

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,

The flywheel is keyed so it's not going to be off. I doubt the cam was installed out of time either. You need to run through the TM and verify what size of timing button it takes (the button is sized to the engine block as you probably already know).

After that, if you can, pull the valve cover and make sure the #1 cylinder is as close to TDC as possible without using the PC mark. It's possible that the PC mark indicator could be off some, IIRC it is just a stamped metal arrow pointer and is slotted so it could have been moved. There is a flow timing method in the TM that you can try, maybe set the timing and use the flow method and slowly turn the crank by hand until the IP flow stops like spec'd out in the TM, and then carefully pull the IP and rotate the crank backwards till it's back on the PC mark and reinstall the IP. Before you fire it up, do the flow timing check again and see if it's where it's supposed to be.

I am only making suggestions, it is possible damage to your engine could result, but if you have run out of options what do you have to lose????

If you want to, you can call me sometime in the evening and we could discuss possible solutions. PM me and I'll send you my number

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks