• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire / bed clearance

tamangel

If the deuce bed is removed, how large/tall of a tire (singled or dual) can you install so that a new body (van or flatbed) wouldn't be rubbing on new height tires? That is top of bare frame to top of tire clearance..Some tire pics I've seen seem to be even with the frame top..or am I missing something simple here..?

Mike

“An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be”

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how high you mount your "new" bed. On a stock truck it's like gimpy said 12.00-20. Just because the tires will clear the bed (even when loaded) on level ground dosen't mean you won't have problems off-road. The axles move quite a bit when you go over a hump or something.
gimpy, Will 12.00-20s even clear the bed when the axles hit the frame stop?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just know it has been stated that 1200x20 is the biggest tire you can put on a stock deuce. I would imagine its a "self clearancing" issue after that. :)

tamangel

maybe I'm confusing tire size options with frame flex maximums..

got this pic out of the Haspin meet..

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....&fid=171&viewkey=&template=slideshow&iid=1255

Is this about max frame flex that anyone has seen?

here's a couple of radical mounts that I have seen:
the red arrow indicates the max flex is hitting a fuel tank therefore requiring a change in design.. This isn't my handiwork..from a friend in Australia and his rig..

Mike

"Late to bed and late to wake will keep you long on money and short on mistakes."
Aaron McGruder

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Stock 9:00 x 20 tires....................... so says the editor of Jp Magazine:

"Anything larger than the stock 9:00 x 20 tiire will rub at full suspension movement will rub. We checked"*

*slightly paraphrased.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a set of 11.00s I'm going to mount one of these days when I muster up enough energy (or help) to dismount/mount 10 tires. I'll offer a free "hands on" tire changing siminar at my place if anybody wants to sign up :wink: .

tamangel

thanks for the pic's Clinto.. Guess that may shoot down the idea of singles.. Although that's just the suspension moving not the frame as in the drawings and video above..?

Mike

emr

I think the 12:00's on a deuce comes from the largest size by the book that can go on a deuce RIM, many/most rims I have seen are stamped max tire 12:00...They were made for 9's and 11's . not to say that awesome pic sure shows an 11 will rub in the max :shock: ...NICE...Randy

chevycrew

I dont see any issues with the frame flex. Your issue is going to be how much your new bed mounting design allows the bed to move. In stock configuration, the bed and tank will not contact. With no bed on the truck the axle spread is your limiting factor. You will just have to lift the bed to accomodate oversize tires.

I am a little unclear of exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
and don't forget that 14.5r20's are the same size as 11:00-20's with respect to bed clearance so maybe they are the largest practical tire size.

tamangel

Frame bed Mounting choices..

A couple of quotes from Unicat and my friend in Australia on this:

Unicat:
Frame Assembly
The frame assembly’s function is to connect the body with the chassis, just like the foundation of a house serves to anchor it to the land it stands on. This connection must be adapted to the selected chassis, body size, body weight and intended use of the vehicle.

For strictly on-road operation, the sub-frame recommended by truck chassis manufacturers is adequate. For off-road use Mercedes-Benz Unimog engineers developed a special torsion-free floor unit specifically for their chassis. This is the sophisticated technical solution UNICAT uses for all the vehicles it builds.

Frame distortion ensures that vehicles retain ground contact with all four wheels even in extremely rugged terrain. The body, on the other hand, is designed as a sturdy box and should permit only minimal distortion. This also applies to the permanently installed furnishings and technical equipment such as pipes, cables, tanks and other frame add-ons.
Chassis and body should be connected in such a way that no torsional forces are transmitted from chassis to body. The torsion-free frame assembly of UNICAT, like the frame assembly of the Unimog, always consists of one fixed bearing and 1 or 2 self-aligning bearings. The fixed bearing acts to locate and fix the body in the middle and transmits forces in all directions. The self-aligning bearings in the forward and rear third, transmit forces only in certain directions so that the vehicle frame beneath can twist freely.

My friends project in Australia:

http://www.robgray.com/index_files/index_wot.php
then click on "Wothahellizat the 2nd"
then ckick on "Construction Diary"
Then click on "Diary #06"

hopefully, this illustrate what I'm discussing as a body mount option for a deuce/5 Ton..

great site to poke around on..great build and philosophy..

Mike

“The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” - Samuel Johnson