• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chain puzzle

jimmcld

I laid out my tire chains tonight and found that all three of them were either missing a link of had a link loose on one end. The chains are put together with what looks like a big rivet, bent into a "J". I had a couple of extra rivets and an extra link. So, I wondered if there was a way to repair two of the chains with parts from the third. The trick was to try to hook the links into the rivets without having to straighten them our and re-bending them. They reminded me of an old puzzle I have that is over 100 years old. I played with them for the better part of an hour, when all of the sudden, I arrived at the solution. There is a way to take them apart and put them back together!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the chains can be modified or fixed, I had a set for duals and changed them into singles when I had 900s on the deuce...
Have been thinking about adding cross links to make them more "hard-pavement-friendly".

Verkstad

I played with them for the better part of an hour, when all of the sudden, I arrived at the solution. There is a way to take them apart and put them back together!
That's a great feature of those chains, does not need tools to change a crosslink, Or modify the whole set. I always known that type of swiveling crosslinkchains is intended for mud. But I've got both kinds for a lot of my equipment they work fine either way snow/ice or mud.

Jakob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack the thread or anything, it it related, kind of, the chains for my 8x8 have "TS type" and "low pressure" in its description, can someone shed some light on that?
The part number is MS500055-30.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks