• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains?

Lax

Does anyone have any suggestions on some good tire chain set ups for my duce for deep snow and or mud? I am sticking with the stock duelies in the rear.

I know some of you are going to yell for me to switch to Super Singles but I don't think that is the best idea for me. I really like the security of having all 8 of those tires back there. If you remember, one of our members was telling the story of helping out during some flooding in VA. At some point during his service he tore one of his outside tires off and did not even know it until he was done and found a bunch of rubber hanging off one of his rear wheels.

I'm thinking that the duelies with chains will help float the truck in deep mud and get me where I need to go. I think some nasty chains will take care of any deep snow or ice I should have to deal with too. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.

M1075

Chains are great for snow and ice. I don't think anyone will yell at you for that. Get a few pairs and you will see.

MilitaryRestoration

If you are up to putting them on and really want a good set, go to a truck shop that carries chains and ask for 'three railers' for 9.00x20's They are actual dual chains, of course you will need just regular ones in front if you'd like but they work like no other... thats my 2cents

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Garbee has chains? I knew he had a pig roaster are there more available?

We ran the chains on all our dueces at Fort Devens, MA and the key to making them really function in snow is a good heavy secondary load. Chains on the front really help too but they seemed to come loose easier.

sprucemt

Lax said:
I'm thinking that the duelies with chains will help float the truck in deep mud and get me where I need to go. I think some nasty chains will take care of any deep snow or ice I should have to deal with too. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.
Could also have the well known effect of "digging a deeper hole".

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll second what David (ARMYMAN30YEARSPLUS) says. My brother was stationed at Ft. Richardson, AK in the early 90s and he told me they used tire chains on their deuces and 5 tons all the time, but they did not get really good traction (at least in the deep snow they had) unless they had a load in the truck.

Lax

Okay. I am learning a lot here. I like the idea of "three railers". Is that something I could pick up at a Flying J or a Pilot? It would be great to not have to pay for shipping!

Now I have been told I only need to put chains on the corners and not all three axles. That does not make sense to me. If I want them on it is because I want the best traction I can get. Why would I not want them on all three driving axles? Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Blythewoodjoe

I have lots of those dual tire chains. That's what Cabell has it his house. I wish there was some good way to get them up your way. They are the ticket for dual tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Joe, those are the ones I'm getting. He was supposed to bring them to the Ga rally, but had to work. One of these days I'll get them and the axle wrap tow bar adapters from him. Just a matter of time.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bjorn:
I bet that is a tit bit nippley riding in your topless windows open truck brr I am putting my Gortex on right now just looking at it...

Does your crane give you enough load to do well in deep snow?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Bjorn:
I bet that is a tit bit nippley riding in your topless windows open truck brr I am putting my Gortex on right now just looking at it...

Does your crane give you enough load to do well in deep snow?
It's not so bad when you are dressed for outdoors work, feels good in the sun and you can't beat the visibility, which is important when off road.

As far as weight on the rear axles, it helps, but much better with a couple of bigs logs loaded up, which are easy to handle with the crane. But yes, weight is the key to traction.
(Image goes back about ten years...)

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I need a cup of hot chocolate after looking at Bjorn's pic. Did you have a snow drift inside the cab or did you have the top up during the snow fall?