• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have found alot of sets of chain and cable type "chains" for 11x20s. Would it be unsafe to shorten these? A couple of them are very reasonable which is why I'm asking.

nickd

My dad used to put chains on his 61 Willys pickup when we plowed snow in NY. They were a pain to put on. I cannot imagine putting chains on the deuce! How often do you need them

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting chains on a deuce? Do it all the time, takes about 20 minutes, 30 tops. Adjusting and installing bunji straps may add a few minutes. When it gets slick it's certainly worth the effort.

About shortening the chains, are you trying to make them fit 900's? The 900 tires take a slightly smaller size chain link also. 1/4" as oppsoed to 5/16 for the 1100's I think. The cross links are longer for the 1100's too. Don't see why you couldn't, driving with chains is a slow speed affair anyway and safety is not really an issue.

mangus580

Bjorn, how do you put yours on? (you dont cheat and lift the truck with the outriggers do you?)

I have a complete set for my new tires.... just gotta put my new tires on!

gimpyrobb

No the need hasn't been prevelant, but I'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. Yes I will be running them on 9.00.

Barrman

Chris,
I found 3 or 4 chains in the tool box of one of my new M35's. This is the truck with the 9.00 wheels. Once I get the other truck home that has the 11.00 rims, I will figure out what all I have and what they fit. I would like to end up with the 11.00 tires on the one I build. Give me another week or two and we might be able to do some swapping.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MIke, I drape the chains over all tires with one end touching the ground. Next I drive forward over the ends that touch ground until the ends clear the tire. After that, I just hook them together.
I use heavy duty cable ties to secure extra chain links.

The procedure is shown in the fording video except for me driving forward after draping the chains over the tires. I also didn't finish with bunji cords and ties, since it was only to get out of the mud.

alphadeltaromeo

I've only installed chains that were required while driving up a mountain...they stopped us at the bottom of course, requiring them. I found the easiest way I was able to install was to put them directly behind the rears (obviously on a civi) and back up over them and then wrap and tie.

mcmullag

snow driving

Last nite I went cruising since we are having a wee bit of a blizzard here, so I goes out cruising from about 7 to 8:30 pm. My green iron is a '96 3/4 ton Suburban, stock except for BFG all terrains 265-75-16. I recently bought a set of chains at Wal-Mart but I don't want to get them wet and dirty : ) and have not needed them yet.
So last nite I am sitting at a stoplight and an ambulace pulls up next to me with a Ford F series front end, and I notice they have chains on all four back tires and on the front tires too. Geez.
I cruise up further and see a guy stuck on the other side of the road so I turn around and pull him out, he gives me a hug. Geez.
further on....out of respect.... I stop and pull to the right and wait for a National Guard Humvee blocking the right lane on a 6 lane boulevard. A young soldier is talking to a guy in a Humvee in the left lane on the other side of the street. The soldier jogs back to his vehicle and the oncoming Humvee climbs over the median and pulls up behind his bud. I then see that they are having problems with chains on their vehcile. hmm. I am getting around good without me chains on and do not have as radical a tread as those dudes.
I go further and see activity in a strip mall...flashing yellow lights on green vehicles, guys in camo walking around the parking lot....the National Guard or Army has set up a staging area and is unloading two of these set ups (Swedish-built BV 206 or 202's) from an all wheel drive tractor trailer, plus more humvees sitting around. I thought our military only had these things in Alaska, these tied-together Sno Cat things are very different looking... the office closed at 1 pm yesterday and not opening till 10:30 today, kinda strong storm here, lots of wind. Lots of nice cars stranded and abandoned on the sides of the boulevards around here.

gimpyrobb

Good shot on the Costco deal. What would a 9.00x20 be in metric? I saw some in the area of 285/50/20 and 245/45/20, a couple others I can't remember.

AKJEEP

Re: snow driving

mcmullag said:
....the National Guard or Army has set up a staging area and is unloading two of these set ups (Swedish-built BV 206 or 202's) from an all wheel drive tractor trailer, plus more humvees sitting around. I thought our military only had these things in Alaska, these tied-together Sno Cat things are very different looking...
Are you refering to a SUSV?

gimpyrobb

RE: Re: snow driving

Bjorn, what are the chances of you posting up the dimentions(length&width) of your chains laying flat on the ground? You running11x20s?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: snow driving

No problem Gimpy, it's raining this morning, but I'll do that later today.
If you can find the NSN for the chains, you can look up an exact description. Did that one time, I'll see if I can retrace the procedure....

yorkgulch2

chains

I got 3 pair of gama goat chains in Idaho a surplus store a few years ago $20/pair(never used them on the goat manual says to only use 2 sets). They had a big selection. They are 1100x18. I now have them on my m37 that has 900x20's. They are a little long and a little wide but heavy enough that they don't flop around much with bungees. There is enough extra chain that they would probably fit 1100x20 maybe with one add a link. I will need chains for my 395/85-20's when my wheels arrive for my m35 don't think these will fit. The store was west of snake river 4x4 in a town along the snake I think. Actually went to Idaho for Harley parts then found the chains.
I put mine on when the weather is nice and leave them on all winter. Just drape them over hook them up roll forward a couple of feet and tighten and bunge. Takes about 10 minutes, takes longer to find the bungees!
I got about 41 inches at 9400 feet in the last 2 days.
Craig

Armada

RE: chains

I've got a set of chains too that I haven't used yet. Actually bought them from a guy in Colorado a couple years ago... bet he could use them now...:) They are for the 9x20's, rear tires only. One chain will encapsulate both rear ties. Won't work on singles. Is this the same kind you guys are using? Like I said, I haven't used them yet, so they may be a real pita to put on.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: chains

Chains for duals can be taken apart and reassembled for singles. Four doubles will be enough for six singles. Been there done that type of thing.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, the dimensions you asked for as shown here. I may have cut a link or two off the overall lenght to eliminate loose unused ends:

Lenght of chain (not including hook): 106 inches.
Length of cross link (not including hooks): 17 inches
Diameter of cross link link: 0.340
Diameter of chain link: 0.300

Weight is about 40 lb.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks