• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire fail-- typical kind??

ericp351

Hi al , have An A2, M25. Hauling some limestone and blew rearmost Goodyear Super single. Dislike changing them road-side, loaded. Anyway, Heard air loss Hiss- no "pop". In 100 or so yards tread completely separated, like tossing a recap, only tread stayed in a ring. Is this normal? Expected tread puncture or a side wall blow-out, rot or injury, to kill them. Not this way.Tire was older, no sidewall cracking and held air great. Trip was 40 miles, out and back- blew after 19 or so loaded miles, air temp 80. 30 mph after 45. Truck did track nice and straight. Thanks.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a couple of flats on my 5 ton. One was on highway at about 45 mph. Heard hissing for a few seconds as front corner went down. I did not use the brakes until truck was almost stopped. Tire sidewall was shredded in about 100 to 200 feet. The other was off road at about 15 mph, also on the front. Heard the same hissing. Tire did not shred.

ericp351

Hard to read any codes as neighbor used saws-all to cut tread so it could be pulled out of way . Maybe 2007-8-or 9? Tread was about 1/2 and no visible cracks. This is my only truck with this scale of tires. Thought "tread-skin" delamination a very odd failure when not a re-cap! Tire spent 1/2 its life as a spare if that matters. Glad it did not wipe-out any air lines!

ericp351

How many tons of stone and what tire pressure were you running? I’m betting overheated tire, like this…View attachment 923996
Official- 9.83 short ton. 60 PSI x 6. Mine looked/ looks bit better than yours, but basic idea . Remain surprised as basically "thru a retread" look. My bolts Did Not come out of axle cap. Touched axle center and estimate 130 deg, above warm tarmac. Lastly- looked much like your aft one pre blow out, but goodyear.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was a tad heavier at 11 ton, at 60psi. Tread came apart in 2 big slabs and several small chunks. I drove a little over 1/2 mile down the road to get to a safe place to get off the hwy, maybe why the carcass looks so bad. Also, I was in the middle of changing the tire is why the two axle bolts are removed.

You can find max load vs PSI charts from the tire manufacturers on line. With my winch and all the other heavy junk I have on my front bumper, I never run the roads at 60 psi anymore. 70-90psi depending on load and conditions.

ericp351

Nice tip as to PSI. Was 42,XXX Lbs gross. Carry tools, chains + full tank. Sounds like tossing treads, like a re-cap, IS the failure mode if I am reading the other comments correct. I do that $25.50/ ton Lime Stone run once or twice a year. First run on this tire, and first Blow Out. Put on "never issued Generals" on fr. axle last year for safety. Maybe due for trouble. Maybe bought and installed bad tire. .... Enjoyed input from others!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice tip as to PSI. Was 42,XXX Lbs gross. Carry tools, chains + full tank. Sounds like tossing treads, like a re-cap, IS the failure mode if I am reading the other comments correct. I do that $25.50/ ton Lime Stone run once or twice a year. First run on this tire, and first Blow Out. Put on "never issued Generals" on fr. axle last year for safety. Maybe due for trouble. Maybe bought and installed bad tire. .... Enjoyed input from others!
I've had two of them fail like you described, and a handful just explode with no warning.

All of them had plenty of tread and no cracks, old date codes.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is typical with SS tires. Very little time between hissing and total failure at any speed. The nice thing is every time it happened to me, the truck handled it without too much puckering of the seat cover...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks