• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire options and where to buy

DeMilitarized

Ok, now the big question, where to buy from? I have been looking and talking to places. Seems like I will be down and arm and a leg after this.

What is a reasonable price to pay for tires that will last? I am also considering trying to find some already mounted on wheels then just selling my current wheels (and tires?) to save me the effort of swapping myself. Seems tire shops around here are not willing to do it.
If your really good and patient you can get $150 a tire with wheel. Likely more around $300 with wheel average good price. Ken Spencer on the m939 facebook fourms is a good source.

5TID

The help you guys have provided is amazing! Much appreciated.

Here is where I am at so far (located in Boise, buying 7 tires):
Boyce Equipment (Ogden, UT) - 395s (or 16r20s), $850/tire, mounted on 5 ton rims, shipped - ~$8500
Idaho Motor Pool (Fruitland, ID) - 16r20s, tire only, NOS, sale price - $650/tire, $4550 total (picked up)
CSMilitary - 14r20 AT2, 90-100% - $450/tire, $3150 + shipping OR 395 MVT, 80% - $375/tire, $2625 + shipping
Ken@MVPartsStore - 395 (MVT or XZL), 100% - $375/tire, $2625 + shipping (waiting for official quote still)
Feltz - did not get an answer yet when calling
Member Fuzzytoaster - 395 MVT, 99% - $300/tire, $2100 + shipping OR 16r20 AT3s, 99% - $350/tire, $2450 + shipping

Ken at MVPartsStore is very knowledgeable and willing to help; my interaction alone would make me want to work with him, not just the price.

I am still looking for a company locally to do the swap for me. I am waiting to hear back from a promising lead though.

I am leaning towards the 395s from MVPartsStore. Still not sure if MVT or XZL?

EDIT: Jacks Tire and Oil will swap tires for $65 each locally to Boise. They also quoted me for some 395 XZLs for a little over $10k (new), and some 14r20 Goodyears (not sure which kind) for $11.7k.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Boyce Equipment (Ogden, UT) - 395s (or 16r20s), $850/tire, mounted on 5 ton rims, shipped - ~$8500
Idaho Motor Pool (Fruitland, ID) - 16r20s, tire only, NOS, sale price - $650/tire, $4550 total (picked up)
CSMilitary - 14r20 AT2, 90-100% - $450/tire, $3150 + shipping
CSMilitary - 395 MVT, 80% - $375/tire, $2625 + shipping
MVPartsStore - 395 (MVT or XZL), 100% - $375/tire, $2625 + shipping (waiting for official quote still)

Ken at MVPartsStore is very knowledgeable and willing to help; my interaction alone would make me want to work with him, not just the price.

I am still looking for a company locally to do the swap for me. I am waiting to hear back from a promising lead though.

Dang, I'm too cheap on my tires apparently!

Pos3idon

If your really good and patient you can get $150 a tire with wheel. Likely more around $300 with wheel average good price. Ken Spencer on the m939 facebook fourms is a good source.
All the ones I see on Gov Planet are usually more than 10 years old which is generally older than I would put into service. How old are the tires you guys are putting into service/how old is too old?

Also I was wondering, do you guys think using run flat inserts would reduce the likelihood of catastrophic failure in older tires?

I hate to spend 7+ grand on a new set of tires, but I also really hate the idea of dying because I wanted to save a buck :unsure:

Last edited:

DeMilitarized

CSMilitary - 14r20 AT2, 90-100% - $450/tire, $3150 + shipping
CSMilitary - 395 MVT, 80% - $375/tire, $2625 + shipping
MVPartsStore - 395 (MVT or XZL), 100% - $375/tire, $2625 + shipping (waiting for official quote still)

Ken at the MV parts store is a great guy. Still think the MT/T is the nicest miltary tire they make.

charlesmann

If you get 395s on the lmtv wheels and dont want the ctis hooked then you’ll have to either swap valve stems out for something that has an internal valve core, or find an adapter that threads onto the lmtv valve stem. I went to several tire shops in my area, including those that service big truck tires and ag tires and could not find an adapter. So, i chose to swap mine out with the stems out of the combat rims. Hind sight, i would have just purchased new stems for the combat rims instead of breaking both the lmtv and combat rims down.

If you want the ctis, im sure just a hose replacement for each wheel assy would suffice to get air flowing through the system. Since i couldnt get my ctis to work, and didnt really care it didnt work, i rmvd everything from the top loader/frame out to the rims themselves, to include the ctis seals in the hubs and went oil bath on all except for the front axle. Once that inner axle seal starts to leak, ill rmv them as well and go oil bath up front.

DeMilitarized

If you get 395s on the lmtv wheels and dont want the ctis hooked then you’ll have to either swap valve stems out for something that has an internal valve core, or find an adapter that threads onto the lmtv valve stem. I went to several tire shops in my area, including those that service big truck tires and ag tires and could not find an adapter. So, i chose to swap mine out with the stems out of the combat rims. Hind sight, i would have just purchased new stems for the combat rims instead of breaking both the lmtv and combat rims down.

If you want the ctis, im sure just a hose replacement for each wheel assy would suffice to get air flowing through the system. Since i couldnt get my ctis to work, and didnt really care it didnt work, i rmvd everything from the top loader/frame out to the rims themselves, to include the ctis seals in the hubs and went oil bath on all except for the front axle. Once that inner axle seal starts to leak, ill rmv them as well and go oil bath up front.
I have an entire thread on getting lmtv wheels to work on a 5 ton with ctis working. Including taping the valve stems for cores on both sides.

charlesmann

I have an entire thread on getting lmtv wheels to work on a 5 ton with ctis working. Including taping the valve stems for cores on both sides.

I personally dont want ctis, or i wouldnt have yarded all ctis components off my tck and tires. But hopefully someone else might find your post very useful if they want to adapt the lmtv wheels to use with their ctis.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the ones I see on Gov Planet are usually more than 10 years old which is generally older than I would put into service. How old are the tires you guys are putting into service/how old is too old?

Also I was wondering, do you guys think using run flat inserts would reduce the likelihood of catastrophic failure in older tires?

I hate to spend 7+ grand on a new set of tires, but I also really hate the idea of dying because I wanted to save a buck :unsure:
I believe it's how the tire has been stored and treated more than the age. If it has been off rim, sitting in the sun full of water I wouldn't put them on my truck unless they were new-new. UV is the enemy! I've seen new tires on rim stored on dirt only for them to rot where the soil draws out the moisture from the rubber too. On the other hand I've had tires from 2008 and 2012 that have been stored in a warehouse on a pallat that are perfect. I put one set on my M1078A1R and drove from Texas to Montana. You buy what you're comfortable with and can afford.

DeMilitarized

I believe it's how the tire has been stored and treated more than the age. If it has been off rim, sitting in the sun full of water I wouldn't put them on my truck unless they were new-new. UV is the enemy! I've seen new tires on rim stored on dirt only for them to rot where the soil draws out the moisture from the rubber too. On the other hand I've had tires from 2008 and 2012 that have been stored in a warehouse on a pallat that are perfect. I put one set on my M1078A1R and drove from Texas to Montana. You buy what you're comfortable with and can afford.
Exactly! I use a set of indoor stored 2012 tires off rim as steers and on rim outside 2010-16 as my drives

5TID

I was able to find a place in Boise (Jacks Tire and Oil, quite a few places in Idaho, Utah and Colorado) that does commercial and agriculture related stuff who will swap tires for $65 a piece (a screaming deal if you ask me). Just need to get the rest of my quotes in line and budget set aside.

Thanks again for everybody's input on the subject!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're in Boise I would contact Alex at Idaho Motor Pool up the road in Fruitland. He's retiring this year and is wanting to clear out his inventory. He had brand new 16.00R20 XZLs just this last year and had wheels also. Not sure what his official inventory is right now but I would definitely check to possibly save on huge shipping costs.

Last edited:

5TID

If you're in Boise I would contact Alex at Idaho Motor Pool up the road in Fruitland. He's retiring this year and it wanting to clear out his inventory. He had brand new 16.00R20 XZLs just this last year and had wheels also. Not sure what his official inventory is right now but I would definitely check to possibly save on huge shipping costs.
I have already talked to him. Not sure I want to go with the 16r20s. I will be watching his two closeout auctions.

Sprucy636

did you ever come across an adapter by any chance? I got a set of HET rims through govplanet and am trying to look into this myself

charlesmann

did you ever come across an adapter by any chance? I got a set of HET rims through govplanet and am trying to look into this myself
I nvr found an adapter and nvr looked into it any further. If i get additional f/lmtv wheel assemblies, i’ll buy new stems or at a minimum, new grommets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks