• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire size

jamesonsdad

good morning all...i have been reading some posts that oh9 owners run 33's and seem to be better for highway speeds,my question is ;can i run 33's on my cucv vs. the standard 31's on it now? or will i need to lift it? it seems that stock height has the clearance but thought i'd get some feedback....thanx

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!

You can run 33's on the 1009 without any lift, I have 33x12.50's on mine.
Depending on the tire itself, you may get some rubbing on the front fender well edges at just the right angle/flex. Oddly enough, one of my 1009s only rubbed on the left fender, the other only on the right. On the one rubbing on the right, I whacked a small piece of the fender off with a dremel, on the other I whacked the fender lip with a BFH, now neither rubs. With a less aggressive tread, neither would have rubbed.

I'll dig up some pictures and attach them, they show what I mean.

Pawnshop has some 33x10.50s on his, they don't even come close to rubbing.

Cheers

jamesonsdad

thanx...i'll look for 33 10.50's my 31's are like new but i do travel the northway every day to work and back ...how much of a p.i.t.a is it to swap in a th700? at 60 mph she begs for another gear...

Barrman

Measure your tires. Ground to top of the tire. My stock 31 x10.50 tires were actaully 29 inches tall. My new BFG A/T tires which say 33 x 12.50 on them are actually 32 inches tall. That is a big difference in rpm at any speed.

As pointed out, 33 tires will fit with little or no trimming on a stock suspension M1009.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link to a previous thread on this, shows where the right fender was being rubbed, and the bit I cut off to resolve it.
The picture below of my second 1009 (with the same tires) shows where I whacked the same basic spot but in the left front fender well. Didn't take much, that bit used to slant forward, I banged on it until it slanted back.
Again, a different tire wouldn't have rubbed at all, only the outermost lugs on these aggressive treads hit.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50988-fender-trimming-photos-needed.html#post580825

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesonsdad

thanx for the help still wonderin about a th700 swap though also i can get my hands on a 6.5 turbo will this bolt right up to my 86 oh-9?? any feedback on that is appreciated as well

NICK_M1009

how much of a p.i.t.a is it to swap in a th700?
I seen a few people talk about it. I dont know the facts, but I guess the bellhousing is the same. The length of the trans. is a issue it will affect the rear and front driveshaft, also where it bolts to the crossmember.
I heard you should use a torque converter for a diesel, not sure if the 400 and the 700 have the same design.
I know the 208 transfercase was used on the 700 also, but I dont know if the 700 and the 400 have the same splines on the output shaft.
I guess those are the issues I can think of but I'm probly missing something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks