• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tires and rim question

pinwormfood

fellas, i have a m1009 with a 4 inch lift (leaf in front and shackle flip rear), and stock rims and tires. I'd like to up my tire size to 35 inch. if I have a 8 inch wide rim (stock size is 8 inch, right?) can i put on a set of 35-12.5-15? will that screw up the bead? is that too much witdh for that rim? i just want someone that knows if I can do it. it's so frustrating. everyone had differeing opinion on this one...i just would like a definitive yes or no. lol. thanks guys.

and if i should not do this, is there a 16 inch rim that GM made that looks like the stock steel rims like on the 1009? and if i go to a 16 is there any benefit?

I hate not being able to figure this out. thanks for the help guys.

pinworm

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fellas, i have a m1009 with a 4 inch lift (leaf in front and shackle flip rear), and stock rims and tires. I'd like to up my tire size to 35 inch. if I have a 8 inch wide rim (stock size is 8 inch, right?) can i put on a set of 35-12.5-15? will that screw up the bead? is that too much witdh for that rim? i just want someone that knows if I can do it. it's so frustrating. everyone had differeing opinion on this one...i just would like a definitive yes or no. lol. thanks guys.

and if i should not do this, is there a 16 inch rim that GM made that looks like the stock steel rims like on the 1009? and if i go to a 16 is there any benefit?

I hate not being able to figure this out. thanks for the help guys.

pinworm

I've been running 33/12.50 tires on GM 8" wheels for almost 40 years with no problems. Remember as you go up in tire diameter that the M1009 has 3.08 gearsets in the axle's stock configuration.

BigRix

Mine is running 35x13.50R15 Baja Claws.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342937036.750394.jpg

This the one Rally rim that is on the truck but it is the same size as the stock CUCV rim.

pinwormfood

I've been running 33/12.50 tires on GM 8" wheels for almost 40 years with no problems. Remember as you go up in tire diameter that the M1009 has 3.08 gearsets in the axle's stock configuration.
pardon my ignorance...but a 3.08 gearset will still be ok on a 35...right? i'm not beating the **** out of it, but on the flip side of that, will i lose low end torque or high end top speed?

thanks, pinworm

Cleptomaniac

Lol their isnt much low end tork! And when you put 35s on it is all gone! That being said I have 35-12.5-15 on mine and it gets around fine. Just don't expect to do any burn outs! ;-)
Oh yea they look great also!!!

BigRix

I just went the other direction and couldn't be happier.

Went from 35x13.50R15 Baja Claws on stock wheels to 32x11.50R15 BFG AT KO's on alluminium wheels and it is like a new car. Accelerates faster, speedometer is more accurate, and best of allot rides smoooooth.

Best of all when I lower it down they will clear without much problem.

Doesn't have "The Look" anymore, but that's ok with me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343432419.499354.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343432432.516586.jpg

HOWEY

gear ratio

So what gear ratio would be an acceptable compromise if a guy was running 35s and used it primarily on the road?