• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tires for stock rims

1984CUCV

I need some advice as I would like to put bigger tires (up to 37 inch) on my m1008 and wanted to know what you guys are running or what sizes will fit on my stock rims. I have not ruled out buying new 8 lug rims all together. But for now I want to see what will work with the stock rims. I will be adding a 6 inch lift so clearance up to 37 inchers should not be a problem. anyone out there running a shackle flip? How do u like it compared to blocks/springs? Thanks guys!!!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Likely the tallest you will find that fits the stock wheel would be the Interco Super Swamper TSL in the Q78-16 size. They are bias-ply and 35.5 inches tall.

swyne

I just picked up 4 new 37" Humvee radials. I've got the older style bias ply 36" on the Humvee wheels now and want to dismount and remount the new ones on those rims. They have the bead locks and run flats. Don't think I'll be putting the run flats back in though. So I guess I'll be in the same boat as to where would you start so that everything is "sat" , going down the road. Any advice?

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

They're a bit on the narrow size at 6.5" wide but you could get up to a 12.5" wide tire on depending on how much road driving you want to do. Optimal would be to keep it under 10-11" wide.

I've got 38x11R16's (Michelin XL 11.00R16's) on stock 16x6.5 wheels off of a 2007 GMC van.

hobie237

Recently located a set of 315x75x16s locally, that translates to 35ishx12.50ish. I'm going to be trimming the fenders for fitment rather than lifting. Were I going with larger tires, I'd go with AJMBLAZER's setup (small front lift/maybe moving the axle forward with the ORD setup) rather than a massive lift. I'd rather have narrower tires for easier fitment, but the set I found was pretty inexpensive.

kennyw

If you do want to run 16.5" HMMV tires, you won't be able to use the stock 16" wheels from the CUCV. There are stock 16.5" Chevy wheels out there in 6.75, 8.25, and 9.75" widths though.

I am running 37 x 16.5 HMMV tires on aftermarket 16.5 x 9.75 wheels I picked up at a swap meet for $100 (with another set of nearly bald 37" tires already mounted that I now run as spares on stock Chevy wheels).

K45

If you do want to run 16.5" HMMV tires, you won't be able to use the stock 16" wheels from the CUCV. There are stock 16.5" Chevy wheels out there in 6.75, 8.25, and 9.75" widths though.

I am running 37 x 16.5 HMMV tires on aftermarket 16.5 x 9.75 wheels I picked up at a swap meet for $100 (with another set of nearly bald 37" tires already mounted that I now run as spares on stock Chevy wheels).
How has those 9.75 wide rims doing with the 37 hummer tires? I am going to be a running the same set up once I clean the rims up and get them painted? Did you put the BBs in for balance? Everyone has been talking about poping the tires off the bead.

Sorry for the hijack, but like what everyone iis hinting around, the width 6.5 you are limited on how big of a tire you can run. The best thing to do is if you are going bigger, start from scratch. The 1 ton axle will let many 15" and larger rims fit on them. So then it is a matter of finding the wheel and tire combo you like. Good luck

kennyw

I've had good luck with them. You can click on the link in my sig for pics to see how it came together. I didn't have problems with the tire hitting the drag link like AJMBlazer did running the narrow stock wheels.

I didn't use bb's, but just had them balanced at the local tire shop. One they gave back to me and said they could not get it balanced so they didn't charge me for the service. But I haven't noticed any problems driving the truck up to 70-75mph.

86M10086.2L

I have the 36 inch bias ply HMMWV tires mounted on 10.5 wide aluminum rims. Tire shop had a heck of a time getting them on in the cold weather. I was trying to find steel dodge rims for them, but haven't been able to locate any larger then 6 3/4. No one around me, even the little roadside "tire" shops would mount them on those rims. If it bothers me down the road, I'll either have a custom set made up, or more likely wait till I finally find a set of hummer beadlocks near me. I found the tires, so someday I might find the rims.