• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TM Covering Transmission/T-Case Installation?

Wire Fox

So I've dug through the TMs and it feels like I'm just overlooking something...I can't find a TM that actually walks through the procedure for removal and installation of the transfer case and the transmission (but did find a section that covers the adapter between the two). While I've got the jist of it, I wanted to make sure I used the right sealants, where applicable, and had the correct torque specs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wire Fox

Well, look at that... I've been looking intermittantly for days before asking, and now that I've asked, I answered my own question. I figured that the CUCV had the same drivetrain setup for the most part, so I started to look through the CUCV TMs and saw their -34 TM...and then realized I had compeltely forgotten about the -34 HMMWV TM, since I almost never need it. :doh: About 30 seconds into having the HMMWV -34 opened, I found exactly what I was looking for. Go me?

NormB

About to plug and play myself here (swapping 218 to 242), just doing some things like new brake (locking) lever, shifter clean/lube/boot, gas tank seals/etc, was wondering about sealant myself )between TC and transmission output flange.

Somewhere I read "any black oil resistant silicone" (or words to that effect), but WHAT IN THE HECK is that gooey red stuff DoD used and how do I get it off?

What did you use?

Thanks.

Norm

Wire Fox

About to plug and play myself here (swapping 218 to 242), just doing some things like new brake (locking) lever, shifter clean/lube/boot, gas tank seals/etc, was wondering about sealant myself )between TC and transmission output flange.

Somewhere I read "any black oil resistant silicone" (or words to that effect), but WHAT IN THE HECK is that gooey red stuff DoD used and how do I get it off?

What did you use?

Thanks.

Norm
Most of it was already cleaned off the components I had. For the tiny bit I had, I just used a general degreaser and carefully used a razor blade scraper, being sure not to gouge the mating surfaces.

Now as to the sealant used between the mating surface, I used Hylomar because it's strangely what I had available. It's a fuel and oil-resistant sealing compound good for almost every automotive system that is non-hardening and is perfect anywhere you have two very flat surfaces coming into direct contact. My KLR called for it on some parts of its engine case, but it's otherwise called for in some aeronautical and racing applications where you need to open something a lot more often than normal and having to scrape off gasket material every time would be maddening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks