• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TN 5tons???

vtdeucedriver

Any you boys from TN????? Did I hear right that in TN you do not need a CDL to run the 5 tons??????

Will find out sunday if there closing the location I work at. May transfer with the company to Knoxville TN. Would like to bring the big girls with me. Got 2 deuces in New England FOR SALE if anyone is interested.

Jimmy

I live outside of Knoxville and was told by the local MVM boys that I did not need a CDL and have never had any trouble, just some odd stares and waves. I think you will like it better here than New England. Let me know if you move to town.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was told here in lousiana that i did need one by dot friend. just told me not to pass the scales , dont get stopped for any viloration, and dont get in a wreck

ida34

It depends if you are driving them while engaged in commerce. If you are making money by driving the truck then you need a CDL if the vehicles gross weight is above the limit. The limit in Michigan is 13000 lbs. If you are over that limit and you are using the truck to make money then you need a cdl. If not you are good to go. I use to be in TN also up till 6 years ago. Some states get a little weird if it has air brakes or tandem duels.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Jeff,
I have done some investigation into this. The information I got from the state of TN mimics what Chuck said - that is that so long as I was not engaged in Commerce, a CDL is not required. Was in a wreck once - presented my operator's license - size, weight, etc. of vehicle was not an issue...and a number of different agencies were involved in the investigation.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

ida34

Word to the wise. This is stuff that commercial enforcement qualified officers are aware of. Officers that are not commercial qualified may misinterpret the statute and issue you a citation. Respectfully explain that as you understand it if you are not engaged in commerce you did not need a CDL. If they stick to their guns don't argue. Pissed off cops start writing more tickets. Take the ticket and contest it on the court date. In TN the court date is listed on the ticket. Get a Commercial Enforcement Qualified officer from a different department to let you know the statute that covers this. Try speaking to the issuing officer's supervisor. Make it clear you are not making a complaint but you feel the ticket was issued in error and would like it looked into. They may tell you that court is the place to contest a ticket. Take a copy of the statute to court and try to talk to the officer again with the statute in hand. If nothing else plead you case to the judge and provide him a copy of the statute.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm right with Chuck on this one. Even though the letter of FL law would lead you to believe you need a commercial license to operate the 5 tons, I've spoken with many of our commercial enforcement folks and the first question out of every single mouth is, "Are you in commerce?" Chuck's advice about debating the issue is spot on. Lots of LEOs enforce attitudes moreso than laws, govern yourself accordingly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks