• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To buy or not to buy? This is my question....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to see a CUCV in my area today. I want to eventually get a CUCV or M880 series that I can use to go to the MV shows, and use as a beater truck (well, not TOO beater) to haul stuff for the house in. My Durango is nice, but no room to haul big or dirty things without messing up the interior.

The seller is moving in the next couple weeks, but isn't against keeping the rig if he can't get what he wants out of it. Rig is a 1984 M1009, 6.2 diesel, auto, 4x4. Comes with the original manual and discharge paperwork. 80K miles, mostly used in the wintertime just to get around town in the snow. However, hasn't had tags for a year or so. Good MD title.

Here's the skinny:

What's good with it:

strong engine
like new tires, 33" offroad GoodYears
tranny is good
regular maintenance
no engine or drivetrain problems

What's wrong with it:

missing: rear seat, brushguard, pintle hitch, radio mounting equipment

cancer (heavy rust) in: front exhaust pipe, rocker panels (inner and outer), driver's side floorboards, under seat mounts, under seat belt lower mounts, firewall, front passenger's side fenderwell, front pillar mounts, pass. side mirror

non-working: fans, A/C, heater, rear window

Guy really doesn't want to come down lower than $1600. Says he can spend a couple (what's his definition of a couple?) bucks and fix the sheet metal rust and the small problems, and list it on eGay for $4K. I don't NEED this truck, but at the same time, I'd hate for it to go to waste.

Should I buy, or not?

Here's some pics:

Attachments

mangus580

I have seen worse trucks go for more....

1600 is probably fair... but you might also be able to do better. Its hard to say.

papercu

Truck

Well 1600.00 is not much for a running truck but looks as if you have two trucks there. White underdash, doors and side panels, blue armrest, chrome taillights and tailgate handle, chrome on the dash, painted Chevy emblem on front, black mirrors, AC not working??? didn't come with one and I only see one battery. Good luck, Wayne

Towerguy1

RE: Truck

I noticed the 1 battery and civillian parts as well. It depends on how "origional" you want the truck to be. Alot of parts have been replaced with civillian parts. $1600 may be a fair price concidering it as a running vehicle, But If you are looking for a stock CUCV I'd say I'd pass and try for one less molested.

Jetnoise400

You know, now that I look at it more closely, it really looks like a civvy truck someone put CUCV parts on. I thought all the CUCVs that came off the assy line were green inside and out. In the photos, the inside kick panels are white, the inside of the fiberglass top is white, and the sheetmetal underneath the top is white. Sure, the doors and dash could be swapped, but it looks like this truck was white from the factory. It looks more to me like someone crossed a M1009 with a civvy truck.. and it's mostly the civvy truck.

I'd be a little suspicious of this one... plus, it looks like it needs a lot of work... I'd say pass and save your $$.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Most ads invariably refer to things like that as "mechanic's special"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I believe I will hold onto my money. Heck, there's a strong-running solid M880 with no rust up in Philly for $1800, with new paint, less miles, and new tires for about the same money as this guy is asking. But I think I'll hold onto my money for now, and work on the one vehicle that's kicking my a$$, and not add to it for now.

papercu

Truck

Lots of Sheriff department M1009s was painted white at least down here. I went with the STE/ICE plug as it being a real M1009.
BTW I went to a county auction a while back and the local department was selling three M1009 two was left mostly stock except for the paint but the third had been completely redone in civilian parts, new front end metal, new front and back bumpers, nice paint, new interior, new tires and mags, and what looked to be a self-contained AC unit mounted on the passenger side dash AND a 6.5 engine the only way you could tell it was a M1009 was the STE/ICE plug. Just before the auctioneer got there, one of the deputy came by and crank up all three on ether. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks