• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tone rings

Usmc83

Hey all , I own a 1985 998 1038 . I was thinking of upgrading all four half shafts. I saw a new 10 k set on e-bay but they stress “tone rings” not included. Do I need the tone rings ? I’m thinking they may just be for civilian h1 models. Anyone know?
thanks.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tone rings are for the ABS on the H1.
As Action said, you don't need them for the HMMWV.

(Also, that "new" set on ebay is likely made in China. They might work fine, or they might have major issues soon after installing them. For good quality half shafts you should purchase from one of the well established parts suppliers or straight from AM General. They don't always fail, but you get what you pay for)

Usmc83

Tone rings are for the ABS on the H1.
As Action said, you don't need them for the HMMWV.

(Also, that "new" set on ebay is likely made in China. They might work fine, or they might have major issues soon after installing them. For good quality half shafts you should purchase from one of the well established parts suppliers or straight from AM General. They don't always fail, but you get what you pay for)
Besides am General ( being that they would be the most expensive) who else would you recommend.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones I was eyeing on eBay Are listed as tacom brand , seller is wolfer parts . Are you familiar with wolfer parts?
Wolfer Parts has a long and sordid history with selling Chinese parts; it's worse that they use deceptive wording to try to make them sound like they are OEM when in reality they aren't even close.

There are a few reputable distributors like Hummer Parts Guy (HPG), Kascar, or Mac Motors and some others as well

Usmc83

Wolfer Parts has a long and sordid history with selling Chinese parts; it's worse that they use deceptive wording to try to make them sound like they are OEM when in reality they aren't even close.

There are a few reputable distributors like Hummer Parts Guy (HPG), Kascar, or Mac Motors and some others as well
Thank you

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is seco a good source for parts?
They used to be a good choice, but now it seems to be hit or miss as to whether they are OEM or Chinesium.

If your budget is a little tight and doesn't allow for a full set of OEM, you can pick up half shafts from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Just use a 1992 Hummer H1 for the parts in their system. They are a little over $100 each.

though first things first, have you verified what shafts are installed right now? When they came out with the 10k shafts they started installing those in everything as the 7ks failed, so there is a chance you might already have some or all of them upgraded.

Usmc83

They used to be a good choice, but now it seems to be hit or miss as to whether they are OEM or Chinesium.

If your budget is a little tight and doesn't allow for a full set of OEM, you can pick up half shafts from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Just use a 1992 Hummer H1 for the parts in their system. They are a little over $100 each.

though first things first, have you verified what shafts are installed right now? When they came out with the 10k shafts they started installing those in everything as the 7ks failed, so there is a chance you might already have some or all of them upgraded.
Not really tight on budget just want good quality at the best price. Seco was the only ones who had complete sets a lot of the others had partials with some out of stock. If price is any indication of quality seco’s price for complete set was @ 1k . It would be a shame if they were selling Chinese parts @ that price. Yes my current ones are 7 k

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at a seco pic of one...its gloss black....normally OEM ones are flat black.
They may re rebuilt.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at a seco pic of one...its gloss black....normally OEM ones are flat black.
They may re rebuilt.
also in the picture 2 of them use shiny retainer bands, the other 2 flat black. Between that and the shiny paint (can't find a single shaft that has anything other than flat black) and the pricing being lower than everyone else, I personally wouldn't put any faith in them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks