• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tooele Utah?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
What kind of work do they do there?, I have 2 M109A3's with tags on the engines that indicate they were rebuilt there in 92, These 2 trucks seem to have all new hardware throughout. Do they do complete rebuilds there, or just motors?

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Toole was a major rebuild center back in the day. Now it does ammo stuff... But they did do "whole truck" rebuilds, and also major assembly rebuilds. (tranny, engine, axles, etc)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is there any way to determine if the whole truck, or just the engine was rebuilt?, based on the condition I've observed, these trucks look almost new......

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do the dataplates say? If the WHOLE truck was rebuilt, it would have a rebuild tag by the dataplate in the cab..
It is entirely possible for a truck to be rebuild (get the rebuild dataplate) and later on, the engine blows up, and that gets replaced with a rebuilt engine... (the engine itself would have a rebuild tag or sticker on it)

Got pics of the dataplates? Also, what do the white stickers with the black spray paint say on them???

Alredneck

Banned
The key word here is " WAS " a rebuild place. Heck they still may do but there main mission is ammo storage. They also supposedly dispose of bad juju stuff ! But i dont know and even if i did i aint telln, just stay, away, far, far, away! We got some EOD techs out there its in the desert, they do admin, clerical, maint, recovery, logistics, food service, construction, demo, supply, ammo, did i say maint heck yall get the picture same as any other military basebut what do i know im just a grunt but if you would like further info proceed to www.tooele.army.mil and you will be able to view more info at your liesure.
aua

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like that truck was a bring back from Germany, came back as part of the downsizing.. I also bet it wasnt used much....

From the limited info, looks like the ENGINE was rebuilt, not the whole truck, but we need more pics of the larger tag with the dates filled in, and the white labels on the side of the truck. Are there dates filled in on the Brake tag and the 180 day tag? What are they?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
2005, Medlog has already informed me they were bring backs from Germany.

The underside of the truck has all new hardware, on the air tanks, axles, t-case, transmission....all look brand new......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing on the dash? I was lucky enough to bone out a truck for a friend. I got the engine out of it for my deuce crane. Attached are pics from the engine and one from the dash. They are self explanatory. Just curious what limited depot standards are.
Obviously these were from Letterkenny.

Attachments

ida34

They may have been repainted but not new. When they depot rebuild they do tear apart the truck and check everything. Everything is checked and rebuilt if needed. They then assemble the truck from misc parts. Is there a rebuild tag on the dash under the data plate? Is the date plate a generic one without the manufacturer of the truck printed on it. When they rebuild the same cab may not have been used. The serial number of the frame becomes the number for the whole truck and a new data plate is attached to the dash. A lot of times the data plate has the serial number and such crudely hand punched on or engraved on with a hand engraver. My trailer I just got was a depot rebuild and had a new data plate attached to the frame. The original data plates have the manufacturer's name silk screened onto the plate. The tag you posted above on the engine is just an engine rebuild tag and does not indicate that the whole truck was rebuilt. It would be a safe bet that if the truck was depot rebuilt it was probably put together shortly after the rebuild date on the tag for the engine. This is not very reliable because the engine could have been in storage for a while after rebuild.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well there are no other tags that indicate a rebuild/refurb. I will take pics of the underside of the trucks tomorrow, but like I said, all the fasteners appear new, even the fittings on the airtanks have new teflon tape on them, the u-bolts on the axles are new....and so on, Both trucks have the same dates on them.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmado22 said:
Looks like that truck was a bring back from Germany, came back as part of the downsizing.. I also bet it wasnt used much....

From the limited info, looks like the ENGINE was rebuilt, not the whole truck, but we need more pics of the larger tag with the dates filled in, and the white labels on the side of the truck. Are there dates filled in on the Brake tag and the 180 day tag? What are they?
On one truck the 180 day sticker/brake inspection indicates 3/05, on the other its 8/06

ida34

The brake test sticker does not imply any rebuild just a check. I have not seen it in the states so it might be a Europe thing. The tag below denotes a repair being done and it may have been anything but that sticker also does not really tell us anything about a depot rebuild. All the depot rebuilds I have seen have had the tag like Kenny showed us above attached to the dash below the data plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks