• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took The Herd For A Ride Today

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 4 bikes, a 75 Norton Commando 850 MkIII, 68 Triumph Bonneville, 69 BSA 441 Victor Special and a USMC M1030M1 diesel. I took each one for a short 20-minute ride today, just to exercise them. The weather was perfect. The M1030M1 was the last bike I rode. I was having so much fun on it riding in the mountains, I couldn't return home and my short exercise ride turned into three hours. I really like that bike. Now the downside. My right front turn signal stalk broke in half. It must have already been cracked and the vibration did it in. I ordered a replacement on Ebay. Fortunately, it is the same as a standard KLR650.IMG_0444 (1).jpg

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the right-side turn signal stalk on my M1030M1 last night. What a pain! I had to remove the front cover, the headlight assembly and the tool bag. I still couldn't get to the wiring. I then unplugged all of the connectors hoping that would help. It didn't help. The wires out of the stalk are long and for the right-hand stalk, the long cable goes across and behind the steel bracket, and then loops back to where it is plugged in. I found it impossible to get the wires unplugged and removed. I ended up cutting the wires inside the turn signal housing to remove everything. I ended up using the new stalk, and the new housing, but re-used to original socket as it was made better than the Chinese replacement. I soldered about 2 inches more wire to reconnect everything and insulated the connection with heat shrink tape. I found out that the new Chinese stalk fit perfectly on the one end, but the end where the housing is mounted, it wouldn't fit the original housing and that is why I used the new Chinese housing. Unfortunately, both the Chinese housing and stalk don't have exactly the same finish and color as the original, but are the correct shape. The good thing is that now I have a working turn signal again that isn't hanging by the wires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks