• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tools

jrosbo

Where do you go to buy your specialty tools like your meters and timing lights. I see these digital meters on ebay every once in a while called itse (I think?) meters and there is one called a tv100 low voltage circut tester in the front of the manual. Where can you buy these and are they worth having. Also I need a Timing light so I can check the timing on my gasser. Any help would be appreciated.

bomar76

You can buy a timing light for your gasser at Sears, or just about any auto parts stores for that mattter, just hook it up to ONE of your batteries so you only get 12v supplying it.
We have a couple digital volt-amp-ohm meters in different flavors and a couple analog ones too. You can buy those just about anywhere too, even the pinheads at RadioShack sell them.
A couple meters like that will do just about anything you want to do.

jrosbo

These iste? meters I see are supposedly to check engine problems, electrical problems, engine cylinder balance etc. They are green, and have a bunch of different connectors and addapters. I dont know much about them but from the descriptions on ebay they are some kind of magical do all tester. Thats why I am asking where to get one and are they worth it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always gotten the tools when the need required it (them). The exception would be a real good deal on something special that I might find at a swap meet, ebay or something.
Don't know anything about the "simplified test equipment/internal combustion engine" (STE/ICE).
I have one of the TV-100's, low voltage circuit tester. It is for load testing batteries and the generator on your truck among other things. Never used it.
It weighs about 2 tons, well 75 lb anyway. A big box usually selling for a lot less than the shipping charges.

A Fluke DVM with thermocouple adapter is very useful. Have one and use it all the time (cost $100 or so).

Bjorn
MVPA19212

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are called STE ICE. Stands for Simplified Test Equipment, Internal Combustion Engines. I'm not sure if they are really of that much value. As far as your timing issues, you can use a regular timing light but need the low voltage test adapter kit. Can be back yard engineered. I bought a 12/24 volt mil timing light on Ebay for around $20 and it has the adapter. Nice piece of equipment. Back to the STE/ICE. Manuals are hard to get and most testers sold are missing a fair amount of the adapters. Not sure how much value they have but if one shows up at the right price, I may buy one.

Crazyguyla

I have used the STE/ICE and it is handy, if you like carrying a big green box around. with the right cables, adapters, and transdusers; a STE/ICE can check RPM, Compression, Cylinder balance, Power test, dwell, fuel pressure, amp draw, ohm meter, voltmerter, and many other test that escape my memory. it's nice to hsve if one knows the ins and outs of operating one, but they are a pain to set up if the engine's not set up with the sensors i.e mid 80's/early 90's vehicles. with otut he manuel, it's a big green box with wires *L* it's easier to use multimeters, timing lites, dwell meters.. etc if your vehicle isn't equiped with a STE/ICE diagnostic plug. most STE/ICE's stay packed up and collect dust in most units and it is currently being phased out and being replaced by a rugged laptop version called a, "MSD" Don't expect any of them to become avalible anytime soon at govliquidators.com They run about 9 gransd a piece not including the "ICE"(internal combustion engine) adaptor module. AN interface to connect the laptop with all the old STE/ICE cables. Save the $$$, Buy a good diagnostic tools to work with your toys. STE/ICE is mid 70's technology. I'm sure someone out there has a couple PS magazines extoling the values of using the STE/ICE. They can even be used to check tire pressure *L*

jrosbo

I am starting to amass my own motorpool of military vehicles. A buddy of mine wants to trade 5 m38 jeeps for my m49 tanker so he can haul water. 3 of these jeeps run and are complete but one is a civilian model and two are for parts. I also got a hold of a 5kw generator with 26 hours on the meter. Put a new battery in it checked the oil and hit the switch and it runs perfect. I think I might have a military tracked crane bought as well. With all this hardware I am going to have to revamp my tools and shop space. That is why I have all the questions about these tools, I kind of thought that by buying military tools for military vehicles it might make the job of keeping this inventory of vehicles going easier. Back to the timing light, I have a standard timing light from snap-on but it wont work with the large water proof wires on my deuce. The jeeps I mentioned earlier have the same kind of wires. Anybody know where I can get all the stuff I need to make it work? Also to the wild guess guy Buy it from ebay guy I dont want an incomplete set with out a manual. I want a complete set if I buy one. Iturned to the experts on this page to find out if this meter was worth having or if there was a better way to go and to those that gave me an honest answer I thank you.

houdel

Mike, way down in the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....c&t=3978&sid=a089b36ff9379251c19bca63570f4cd9 posting, has two complete STE/ICE testers (complete, so he says with all adapters and a manual - the manual by itself is a real b***h to find) for sale at $250 each plus shipping. If I had the bucks to spare, I'd buy one in 1/2 a heartbeat. That is a excellent price, but I don't know how well they work on the Deuce. If it doesn't have the upgraded harness with the STE/ICE connectors all you will buy is a $250 boat anchor or wheel chock, your choice.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

Once my EUC comes in, I will have several complete and calibrated STE-ICE kits available to SS members for 250 each plus shipping......... I will post details when my EUC comes and i get them to my shop......

Ziggy

houdel

The STE/ICE testers are great, IF you have the test plugs built into your wiring harness. If not, you have a $250 brick. BTW, $250 is a great price, Frank's Surplus has been getting considerably more than that without all the adapters and the manual (which, at least so far, is NOT available on LOGSA). Ziggy, sounds like you got a great deal IF you got all the adapters and manuals. The best part is most of the adapters are ordinary hardware store stuff. I'm trying to purchase one off this list WITH the manual, if need be I can copy it for you to include with your testers. Best of luck, don't hold you breath on the EUC though. My first one cleared in two weeks, the second one took 4 months!

houdel

Harbor Freight has a great selection of tools - Electrical mutlitesters, diesel compression testers, cylinder balance testers, etc. Still would like a good, working complete STE ICE tool though! Ziggy - Keep me in mind when you get yours, haven't heard from the guy on this list selling one, so I may still be in the market when you finally get yours! -- Lee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks