• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Top Speed

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend and I went to Barstow DRMO Monday to look at some trucks, most of them are beat, Fort Irwin trucks, but, there were a few Air Force trucks, drop side, hard top and low miles/hours, between 7k and 11k miles, M35A2Cs. They had the same data plates as Army/Marine trucks, but, there were bonus labels, just above the instruments, that had MPH and gear charts or specs, like the ones on the metal data plate to the left of the steering column. They stated that the max speed in 5th was 68 MPH @ 2600 RPM!!!??? Whats up with that? They still have the "normal" aluminum plates thet say 56 MPH @ 2600. Do these use different transmissions? Sorry, brought the camera, but, got so excited I forgot to use it!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whoa, that's a first for me! My deuce had "max speed 45mph" painted on the dash about the gauge cluster. My 923A2 has "max speed 40mph" painted on the windshield even though it will do 65mph.

jumpmasterjim

Are we talking hypothetical here? I know for a fact that the 923 I drove in Germany back in the 80s' would go a little faster. In fact I replaced the governor bolt on the front of the injector pump and let it drive to 5 MPH! That is, the speedometer needle spun past 60, past the MPH, and was on 5 when I let off of it. The Autoban is a Beautiful thing! The only concern is not overrevving the engine. But 19 year olds' don't think about that kind of stuff. The duece has a governor as well. It is safety wired under a small pate on top of the injector pump. Remember because it will go that fast doesn't mean it should go that fast.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about hypothetical, didn't get to drive them, but the one with 7k on it started and ran fine. The decal was an Air Force issue, had numbers on it that matched, in sequence anyway, the warranty start tag. BTW, these are 1988 trucks, AM Gen. tags, S/N started with 88K11xxx.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's GL. They aren't up yet, but the GL guy said most likely within the next month for the first 5 and a couple more months for the other 15...unless another gov. agency wants any of them. The bids usually start at $50.00. There's one up now, the bidding starts tomorrow, but it's beat up too. They picked it up with a forklift and bent it up pretty bad, bed, bat box, tank and brackets, broken windows.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
wreckerman893 said:
These speeds were imposed by local commands, usually after some moron rolled a tatical vehicle. Those were considered to be "safe" speeds for these type vehicles.
Yep, the 40mph speed limit on the 939 series was imposed after a series of fatal roll-overs in the trucks. The convoy would stop suddenly, driver would slam on brakes, the engine would stall during air brake lock-up killing the power steering and the driver would be unable to make correction during the skid to avoid roll-over. The ABS MWO fixed this problem.

jasonjc

Ya those M939 will lock up. Big time.did not die thought. my heart skiped a few beats and my co drive about tore the dash off.

The M35A3s with the same transmission set up as the 923s will do the same thing. During 88M (Motor T Operator) training in the winter at Traverse City, got to play on the Coast Guard's airfield. Managed to stomp on the brake til it stalled (slid some, never did actually stop) and then press the start button again to get control back.
First time I drove the 923A2 it was going home on the freeway and didn't know I wasn't supposed to cruise 65. the MWO hadn't been applied to my truck yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks