• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tow bar cucv to cucv

choll

does anyone have a tow bar I can borrow in the Las Vegas area, I need to pick up a blazer in CA. I will be towing with a blazer. need it for the weekend of the 20th. I have a trailer I can put the blazer on but going over baker pass with the weight of the trailer might not be good for the towing veh. considering that they are almost 30 years old

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
does anyone have a tow bar I can borrow in the Las Vegas area, I need to pick up a blazer in CA. I will be towing with a blazer. need it for the weekend of the 20th. I have a trailer I can put the blazer on but going over baker pass with the weight of the trailer might not be good for the towing veh. considering that they are almost 30 years old

Coming down the other side with 5500# of unbraked truck pushing you might not be good for you or the towing vehicle!

2deuce

ditto to all of the above. I have done both, tow bar and trailer. I won't do the tow bar again if I need to go above 35 mph or for any more than a very short distance. I would trailer with good trailer brakes but only if I planned on a long slow trip and the M1009 was the only thing I had running. When your tow vehicle is light and wheelbase short, your margin for error is small and the pucker factor is up there. You don't want to be on the evening news.
I just brought a M1031 home with a 3/4 ton Dodge PU w/cummins over the same road with the same trailer as I towed a M1008 with the M1009. The difference was night and day. The dodge trip was a breeze.

choll

You guys convinced me I will use my trailer, it does have brakes just need to hook up the controller for it. I guess Im in for a slow trip from cali to vegas. Thanks guys sometimes Im just lazy and was looking for a short cut.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed my M1009, but with my M1028a2 dually and the correct tow bar. 500 miles. ALL FLAT. From Ft. Riley to Denver.

You made the correct choice. The other possibilities are all BAD. USE the trailer. GO SLOW. You will be very happy you did.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys convinced me I will use my trailer, it does have brakes just need to hook up the controller for it. I guess Im in for a slow trip from cali to vegas. Thanks guys sometimes Im just lazy and was looking for a short cut.
There are no short cuts for saftey , bad judgement when towing a MV with another MV and somebody gets hurt or killed reflects badly on the whole MV community .

3dAngus

And you would normally want to use a heavier vehicle to tow with, but if you have good working brakes on the trailer, you should be OK, assuming you have good tires and do not approach the GVW of the trailer and axles (plus tires).

I was pulling my Ford Model A and had a tire blowout on one of those cheap 16' flatbed trailers everyone has. What a scare from the completely shredded tire. Honestly, it must have been a hundred different pieces and I never seen anything like it. They sell really cheap tires on those trailers. Hopefully, you have some kind of military trailer or something better than what I have. Of course, I replaced all wheels and tires now, but even with dual 3500 lb. axles, I still won't allow GL to load over 4K pounds on it. I would make 2 trips first.
Good luck on your trip. Enjoy!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we're missing the obvious solution here: A friend in the rear M1009 with a walkie talkie and a strong leg.
I doubt if it is legal in califonia for anyone to ride in a towed vehicel , I know it is illegal in michigan . And california is the leader in rules and regulation .

KsM715

Please tell us your joking SGT Estum. (theres a smiley for that. -------------> :p)

Edit: porkysplace beat me to it[thumbzup]

Last edited:

jimmy-90

I towed a ford bronco about 30 miles down the highway with my old 77 Chevy blazer one time. That was enough to convince me that towing a vehicle of equal size and weight above 30 mph with a tow bar isin't a good idea. As far as these mil trucks go I wouldn't tow a M1009 hooked to a towbar with anything less than a deuce or a 5 ton.

DokWatson

Take care of your trailer brakes, test them before you haul something. A guy I know totaled two rigs from flipping his trailer this summer. Trailer started fish tailing, the trailer brakes failed completely, slammed against the hitch, and snapped the pintle. It was hanging by the chains when it flipped, and they snapped before it took us with it. We were on two wheels going 40 down the highway. It was scary. So yeah, take care of your trailer and you will be OK.

SGT Estum

Please tell us your joking SGT Estum. (theres a smiley for that. -------------> :p)

Edit: porkysplace beat me to it[thumbzup]
HAH! Yes, I'm mostly kidding.

I flat towed a M1009 behind my F150 through Wisconsin. I did a short test drive to ensure the F150 had sufficient breaking power, during which I had a buddy in the M1009 with a walkie talkie, just in case. I would not advise actually going down the road like that.

Turns out a 2006 F150 with the towing package has MORE than enough breaking power. I took all back roads and kept it under 45, maybe lower if I didn't have a solid view of the upcoming road ahead.

2deuce

The M1009 isn't rated to tow that much weight. It will do it, but you will be exceeding what it was designed for. Do not go over 50mph, you don't want the tail wagging the dog and on any down grades keep your speed below 30, don't let it run out at the bottom of the hill even if the road is straight.Cross winds, passing trucks all have a detrimental effect. 2 hands on the wheel at all times, you may think I'm being extreme but you will feel what I'm talking about when your going down the road. Be at your highest cautious level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks