• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tow bar

jesuscowboy

I'm looking at getting my first deuce. I live about 150 miles from redstone. I'm concerned about getting deuce home if it doesn't crank. I have a f350 crew cab. does anyone know if I use a tow bar on deuce I can pull the truck home. If anyone has done this let me know where I can get a tow bar

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done this, wouldn't advise it. Check with Offroadfabworks, he or one of his gang has a bar and might could help you cheaper than a wrecker

wsucougarx

I would advise if the truck is a runner/driver that you tow your Ford home. The Laws of Newton are going to be applied. The deuce weighs more and will want to continue on its path esp w/something of a much lighter weight. So getting going will probably not be a problem. However, braking and turing may.

Jones

Because of the differences in bumper height; on start-off the deuce will be continually trying to lift the rear of your Ford, reducing your ability to control it.
When braking; the deuce will try to push the rear of the Ford down, lifting the front and reducing your steering ability. All this is during straight line operation. In a curve or turn the problems increase dramatically.

DanMartin

150 miles? If it's not a runner, I would have it towed or hauled home by someone who has experience with such things and the right equipment. May cost you some change, but I bet it'll be cheaper than buying a new F-350 and whatever other vehicles get caught up in the accident when it happens. Not to mention safer.

These things are pretty big, and tend to want to wander (even behind another deuce or a 5 ton, you never know if the deuce will decide to keep turning or go straight).

Since this is your first deuce...best to play it safe until you are more familiar with them.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree on the runner and driving it and best bet is having a friend go with you not tow anything and have him or her follow you in the F350 or in this case if you have a car that gets better milage use that if you can get the tools in the trunk. Most dueces will run if you put enough into them and very often it wont take much.

If you must do it alone tow the Ford and drive the duece. Do not tow it with the F350 bad doo doo

aboonski

If the brakes work you could have someone sit in the deuce and assist in the steering and braking. To supply air for the brakes, you could use a gas-driven air compressor set at 80-90 pounds and pipe the air into the system with fittings and a one-way valve in case the air line came loose. In theory, this will work. Also be sure to have all the tires inflated to the pressure required and head home.

dylan08

HI, I called the GL home office and they told me you had to tow any truck off base. Is this true? I noticed most of you are trying to drive them off base. I was wanting to buy a m35 from GL but was not sure the best way to get it home. If i could drive it home that would be great base only about three hours away. If i was going to try and tow it what size truck would be bigger enough to tow a truck like this and were could I find a tow bar for the m35 for sale what are the going prices on one. thank you for any info this is a great site with a lot of good info.

aboonski

Some of the GL storage lots are in locations adjacent to military bases which have public access roads right by the loadout area; Camp Beauregard Louisiana is one of these. The G.I.'s that retrieved an M35A2 for a friend of mine at Camp Beauregard simply drove the trucks out the gate of the impound lot and the buyers were on their own at that point. Several people just got in their trucks and drove away. You can see this for yourself on YouTube. I posted a video about Camp Beauregard with one M35A2 towing another M35A2.

CGarbee

dylan08 said:
HI, I called the GL home office and they told me you had to tow any truck off base. Is this true? I noticed most of you are trying to drive them off base. I was wanting to buy a m35 from GL but was not sure the best way to get it home. If i could drive it home that would be great base only about three hours away. If i was going to try and tow it what size truck would be bigger enough to tow a truck like this and were could I find a tow bar for the m35 for sale what are the going prices on one. thank you for any info this is a great site with a lot of good info.
If I were you, and this was my first GL purchase (and first M35), I would contact somebody like AMGeneral (he's in Morganton, not that far from you) who has lots of experience retrieving vehicles and who not only has a couple of towbars but a collection of trucks (including a wreckeer) suitable for the retrieval...

There are several of us located in NC and SC who can help with an inspection/retrieval at most any base in the area...

I've driven trucks off base (including one that plainly stated on the doors that it "don't run"...), but my usual SOP is to take a five ton down and tow them off base as it's a lot less stressful.

Good luck, ask plenty of questions, and go through the older posts and stickies for more info.

emr

I would believe the comment about towing off base , is as simple as u did not make it clear it would be covered by a legitimate license plate with insurance and registration,of course i am assuming U would have this to tell them this,If u do like any vehicle U can drive it off base.Now as for my belief an... INtransit plate or dealer plate is about all one could have without cheating, these are nj plates i know of and can be used, im sure there are other states with other transferable plates out there. most are never asked for this, BUT there is aways a first time,

aboonski

Of course that would be the case in every respect. Insurance companies are usually pretty good about insuring newly acquired vehicles if you provide them with the VIN # and specific details about the vehicle. Local tag agecies can supply temporary tags for a fee practically everywhere you go. That's the only way to drive legally and will generally protect the person driving in the event of a vehicular accident.