• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar for CUCV moving to Texas.

kjasdaddy

I have a M1028 with 4:10 gears and not looking to dirve it to Texas from Virginia. Does anybody have a towbar for sale or know of one that I could buy? What do I need to do when I tow it wth 4 tires on the ground? Discounect the driveshafts etc...

Ray
Richmond, Va
M1028

papercu

towing

U-Haul used to rent car trailer and tow bars but don't know if they still do.
If it was me I think I would disconnect the rear driveshaft and use a tow dolly or use a trailer

According to -10 when using a towbar and all 4 wheels down:
For distances over 5O miles, hava organizational maintenance disconnect rear
propshaft at rear axle carrier and front propahaft at front axle carrier, and
secure in a safe position.
Unlock steering by turning ignition key to “’OFF.”
Shift transmission gearshift lever to "N" (Neutral).
(6) Shift transfer case control lever to “N” (Neutral).
(7) Unlock locking hubs.
(8) Install safety chains.
(9) Release parking brake.
Read the manual for more info. Wayne

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why though would you need it in neutral if the drive shafts are disconnected?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I'm lazy and don't like laying under the truck in adverse conditions, I would unlock the front hubs and pull the rear axle shafts but thats just my way.

Westech

CPL
Ok here is the poop on towing a cucv. If you are going to flat bar tow it this is what you do. Have the trans in PARK!!!!!! have the T case in "N" have the steering wheel unlocked. ( turn the key all the way and disconect the batts). DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER have the trans in "N" when flat towing. IT WILL BE DEAD IN 50 MILES!!
Here is why. When the trans is in "N" the output shaft will spin when moving, it may not be fast when the T-case is in "N" also but it will move. When this is going on the pump in the trans is NOT pumping oil inside the trans and it will burn out the trans. When you leave it in park the insides will not trun and do ont need to be oiled. The T-case has NO oil pump and works on the "splash & dip" oiling. Thats ok to be spinning at the normal speed. You do not need to take the drive shafts out, just unlock the hubs and let her roll.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Every-time I am in Texas I am amazed to see people towing vehicles with rope. Perhaps this would really make your trip an "adventure". We of course would need pics of each time you rear end yourself.

Seriously hit Uhaul, Agri, Northern tool, Pepboys Auto, etc. I have seen towbars at all these locations, and since you are in my area these stores are all in your area too. If you really are desperate I could loan you my home built towbar, but you are going to have to sign quite a liability waiver to use it. You would also have to get it back to me. It was over built to tow CUCVs, and you can adapt it to hook it up to your truck with a pintle or ball as it uses a regular 2" square to hold the attachment.

kjasdaddy

Thank you all for your advise especially builder and the rope theory.. :D I will try some of these places like tractor supply and see what I come up with. Thank you again.

Ray
Richmond, VA
M1028

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks