• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a M100/M416 behind a deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, weight-wise, it can be done easily, but my concern is due to the shortness of the trailer, it may cause side-to-side wheel hop or shaking. Anyone have experience with this?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pulled a 416 behind my Deuce many times. Although I had no idea it was back there, the friends behind me said there was no issue.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, great idea.

If you can pick up a 1/4-ton trailer, by yourself, and place it in the back of a deuce without use of a hoist or wrecker, more power to you. If you have a loading dock or a ditch and can in some way make use of that means of loading, more power to you. However, if you like me, and are not superhuman, nor have a crane/wrecker, nor a way of loading a trailer in that manner...

...guess I'll have to tow it.

Kwai

Use a pickup. I can't see towing a m416 behind the deuce. I towed a m416 behind my m715 on sunday and it was anything but level. The pintle on the deuce is even higher. More like dragging the trailer than towing. And certainly don't even think of backing up with it back there.

Lex_Ordo

I too, want to tow my 1/4 ton trailer behind my M35, but I need to come up with a design to bolt a plate on the frame and lower the hitch to the same height as the trailers lunette ring.

I figure there must be an easy, well made, clean looking design that would allow a plate to mount behind the pintle hook, on the frame, and drop the tow point to the lower level.
Then weld a 2" receiver adapter to the plate and voula, you now have a dual duty tow vehicle.

If anyone is a drafter and can come up with a real engineered design maybe we can have these made if there is an interest. This way it would become a standard aftermarket attachment, that would retro to any duece out there. It must be made as to not interfere with the existing pintle, so other correct height military trailers can be pulled, and allow the addition of the lower receiver. It then can fit any 2" hitch. Ball hitches for boat trailers, RV's, etc.

I made a Pintle hook with a receiver adapter to mount on my H3, so I could tow the trailer behind it. It is an easy build and it transfers between vehicle s with the pull of the Hitch pin.
Here is a pic...

Attachments

Last edited:

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mad dog I have found that if the tongue weight is right there are no issues. I`ve pulled 2 , 416s stacked ( one up side down on the other) several hundred miles with no glitches.2cents

AaronHorrocks

I've towed my M116A2 with my 5 Ton. It worked fine, other than the front of the trailer was lower than the back, causing trouble loading the trailr.

Also backing up is crazy! I'm sure with my M100 backing up would be nearly impossible.

Lex_Ordo, I did the same deal to tow behind my civilian vehicle too. ;-)

Flea

Lex:

You could just go for the Curt 14082 hitch. Drill 6 holes and you're set for up to 12K, and it doesn't sit down very far when not in use. A good drop plate & pintle/ball combo will set you back about $100-150 above the price of the hitch (I got mine for $145 new). Overall, not exactly cheap, but saves you from having to weld & fabricate, and you can have it on in about 30 minutes with a decent drill and "Soldier B."

Attachments

emr

to be the most safe and correct u should always want the trailer to be as close to level as possible, that is the way they are designed to go down the road, other wise u are wacking out the stability, sure it will work . In the tilted position one is makeing it much more prone to sway in a bad situation than if it were level, I always try to think of the worst before I go, sometimes it works and sometimes u know, at least i try... just sayin, I just want to add because i have done it, with something that small behind a deuce, and after a long ride, it only takes one time to forget for second it is back there and bam , jacknife, it is so fast with a short trailer it is unreal, if u are going to bring it to the NJ show, I promise to have the forklift there to get it out safely If u can load it at your end.... I offer to all SS guys If u need to unload anything heavy u can get it in at your end Scott and I will get it out at the show, and if needed load to a buyer or back for U no prob, its all part of the hobby to us...All the best,.. :)

Last edited:

CGarbee

I missed this thread the first time around, but will toss in one extra thought:
The pintle on the 2.5 and five ton trucks rotate (3/4 ton like the M37's do as well for that matter...). The lunette ring on the 1/4 ton trailers rotate...

I did once tow a M416 behind a XM813 for fifteen miles (long story as to why...), when I got to my destination, I noticed that the pintle had rotated ninety degrees...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did once tow a M416 behind a XM813 for fifteen miles (long story as to why...), when I got to my destination, I noticed that the pintle had rotated ninety degrees...
The M1009 pintle rotates also, and I have yet to get where I am going towing my 416 without the pintle being significantly off vertical when I arrive. It doesn't seem to cause any issues, and the worst off-roading I do with the combo is in the field where I park my stuff on the farm.

Mr G, as someone with a lot of knowledge and whose opinion I respect, is there any problem with this, or need to "lock up" the pintle or the lunette?

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks