• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M38a1 with a M1009...

linx310

I won a M1009 off of govliq a few weeks ago because i wanted a vehicle to tow my M38A1 and store my equipment for gun shoots and camping trips.

The M1008 series was better equipped for towing but I wanted to do highway speeds while commuting and liked the decent mileage the M1009 got. I also wanted more seating capacity. So I went with the M1009 instead.

Since the stock M1009 isn't the best towing vehicle in the world there are a few upgrades I am going to do.

My mission requirements:

Tow a M38a1 4-6 times a year 50-250 miles at 55-60 mph. The M38a1 weighs about 2,670 lbs with no crew.

To accomplish this I plan to do the following:

1. Install a good transmission cooler to augment the stock system.
2. Install a Class 3 trailer hitch.
3. Use a tandem axle trailer setup that has electric breaks.
4. Install a break controller.

I am planning on purchasing a 16 foot trailer that will have 2 axles and electric breaks. Most setups this size weight 1,500-1,800 lbs.

So I am looking at a total towing weight of around 4500 lbs. The civilian towing capabilities listed by GM are around 5,000 lbs.

I think with the above setup even with the 3.08 axles It would be ok if I drive smart.

What do you guys think? Should I get a trailer with a anti sway bar?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going out on a limb here but if I were forced to tow the M38A1 with the M1009, I'd do it with a towbar. The short wheelbase of the blazer just doesn't bode well with towing. The 400 turbo can handle much abuse, especially after adding a second cooler but don't expect miracles out of the 6.2 when lugging it like the 3.08 gears will do. I'd at least step up to a 3.42 gear. What do you consider highway speed? The M1008 would have been a much better vehicle for the job, a cheap topper could have been added to secure stuff and I consider 55 ( a speed the oh-8 can handle) highway speed. Can you do what you are asking? Probably. I think the Oh-9 would have been a real distant second choice over the Oh-8.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks