• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing backhoe to wv

ncduece

hello i purchased a m35 with the intentions of using it to tow my backhoe to wv from here on the coast in nc about 480 miles the machine weighs about 13000 lbs ill be using a equipment trailer with brakes. will it do the job? what can expect as far as speed etc? i understand its rated for 10000lbs there are some pretty good grades. the truck certainly look capable of doing the job. the machine is a mid 80s jcb 1400b

rockman

Truck will tow it but it will be real slow inthe hills of NC and WV. You will be downshifting alot with the trailer. Heck, even without it...

dburt

You might have to put LED light bulbs in your trailer if it is a civilian model, otherwise you will blow out the 12 volt bulbs when you hook up to your truck. Does your trailer have air brakes? If not, and they are electric, then you can run an 12 volt electric brake controller off of the front battery and operate the controller by hand when you need the trailer brakes to help slow you down. You will be as slow as molasass in January, but you will eventually get there!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Brother used a Deuce about a year to tow his Case 580B until he could get bigger truck and engine combo.

He said his top speed was about 45 on flat level ground. The trailer had brakes with a 12volt controller in the cab.

YMMV

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will get there, just not very fast. Plan on using your flashers a lot on the hills. I had to put mine on quite often when towing.