• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing cucv m1008

WARWAG

I was thinking that I may want to flat tow a M1008. I have seen the tow bars for sale on Ebay. I have a few questions.

1. can you flat tow a M1008?
2. Do you need to remove the rear drive shaft?

I suspect all you need is to unlock front hubs and place T case in neutral. But want to know what you all have done. Thanks

2deuce

Tie up the driveline. They flat tow very nice, but make sure your tow rig is heavy enough not to be pushed around. Best option is put it on a trailer with brakes.

rnd-motorsports

I flat tow ( not a 1008 but same dif ) a 4x4 behind my motorhome all the time and as you stated make sure hubs are unlocked put transfer in neutral and turn key to first on to unlock steering wheel and your good to go. The 208 transfer has A pump in it that is worked off the rear output shaft so all the bearing and iners of case get lubricated ! as stated just remember that the truck is heavy so the truck you tow with will have to be able to handle the push you will get from the 1008 slow down for turns and you will be good just drive like you are towing another truck! [thumbzup]

motormayhem

I flat tow ( not a 1008 but same dif ) a 4x4 behind my motorhome all the time and as you stated make sure hubs are unlocked put transfer in neutral and turn key to first on to unlock steering wheel and your good to go. The 208 transfer has A pump in it that is worked off the rear output shaft so all the bearing and iners of case get lubricated ! as stated just remember that the truck is heavy so the truck you tow with will have to be able to handle the push you will get from the 1008 slow down for turns and you will be good just drive like you are towing another truck! [thumbzup]
The np208 has no pump, however when it is in neutral I believe it engages the front drive line, which spins the lower gears and chain so it throws oil around in there. You might want to know that you are then turning everything up to the hubs which can wear out the hubs and front drive line.

WARWAG

Thanks guys. I have a 2008 1 ton Dodge Diesel. Shouldnt have any problems. My trailer is being used by a friend and it may be back within the next few months. In between then If I win a bid then I might just flat tow her. My other trailer is for my snowcat and is a Tilt deck. But if the CUCV doesnt have its own power or wont start then thats a no go. Thanks again.

Mike

WARWAG

Also. "Starts and Runs" on GL adds does not mean "starts Runs and drives" My nieghbor purchased a nice looking M1009 on GL that said Starts and Runs. He went to pick it up and it Started but when he put it into drive NOTHING. Burned up tranny. And of course I loaned my trailer I would use to a friend who has been delayed getting his stuff from NM to New Hampshire. Oh well just my luck.

91W350

The np208 has no pump, however when it is in neutral I believe it engages the front drive line, which spins the lower gears and chain so it throws oil around in there. You might want to know that you are then turning everything up to the hubs which can wear out the hubs and front drive line.
I did not know that, so I went out and checked, sure enough, the shaft is locked in neutral.

I do not think it would matter for a recovery, unless there is a shortage of lube or broken front end parts, but for long distance towing, I can see your point.

Thanks, I hope the learning curve never gets broken. Glen

dstang97

I really think you should try to get your trailer back or rent a "equipment" trailer for the day. You could prob get one for under 100 bucks. I think that would be a lot less of an hassle. and safer.

2deuce

The trailer would be best but disconnecting the rear driveline isn't a big job. I use a long zip tie to hold it up and a bungie cord to keep it from sliding out of the TC. Then nothing turns but the wheels. Unlock the steering wheel and hubs in free. The good thing about the flat tow is you don't have to pull a empty trailer all the way there. When I flat towed a M1009 with another M1009 it felt real hairy back there over 40mph, kind of like I had 2 flat rear tires. It was especially bad when a big rig comes up on your a$$ and while your being passed. I won't do that again, it was not safe. If your tow vehicle is heavy enough the CUCV follows very nicely.

papercu

-10 is short for TM 9-2320-289-10 (think of it as a owner manual) and there should be a copy you can download here but there has been some changes lately so if you cannot download a copy, send a PM with your address and I'll send a copy.
Other manuals for that series will be found as TM 9-2320-289-XX. Wayne

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

Motormayhem THANKS for the info checked and you are correct I have been in buisness 20 some years with 4x4's and did not know that the 208 locked front and back in neutral !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks