• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M1008 WITH M1009

Rebelpride

I did a search and found answers to towing an M1009 with a deuce or a M1008 or a M1009,
but did not find where someone had towed a M1008 with an M1009. Can this be done safely.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can be done but not with the "Safely" clause. A careful person might be able to pull it off. How far? You will be exceeding the max allowable towed load by around 4500#. No doubt others have done it and a few will be along shortly.

truck0590

If you were going a short distance, maybe, I don't think I would chance it because the weight of the 1008 is more then the 1009. See the thread on 'road trip from heck' to see what could happen.

Truck

Elwenil

Hmm, lighter short wheelbase vehicle in the front with a 1/2 ton rating towing a heavier, long wheelbase vehicle with a 1 ton rating. Couple that with the fact that you are exceeding the weight limits of the towing vehicle and the fact that the towed vehicle will not have any brakes on it and I would have to say no, don't do it.

jumpmasterjim

I have towed 1008 with a 1009. As long as you use a military tow bar or one just as strong, fill the tires, remove drive shaft, and drive slower than traffic it should be ok. I also towed one with a toyota 2wd pick up once. It tracked ok. It was real fun braking. It may aso help if you let the 1008 run, and leave the driveshaft in. It tracks alot better this way.1009s arent the best tow platform but in a pinch may work. You can check my other post about my trip from heck titled "tip from heck". I used a different adjective initially but Heck works too.

Sgt Hulka

I think this is a really interesting question and I'd love to see even more good feedback. Certainly the 1008 is a much longer, heavier vehicle which intuitively raises questions. Ithnk the issue of brakes is especially troublesome. But its weight is also fully supported by its four wheels, not the tongue or towbar. I have no idea what the true dynamic loads would be or how they would square with the 1009's capabilities.

Westech

CPL
I would do it. The blazer is plenty heavy enough. I would keep the speed 55 or so but other then that I would have no problem. Its not like your towing a deuce with a pick up truck its just a 1 ton truck. Like what was said, remove the rear drive shaft, make sure the hubs are unlocked and unlock the steering wheel and use trailer light and hit the road. Just give your self time to stop.

91W350

Not sure I would run 55, but I would do it as well. The M1008 will spin that M1009 around like a top in a panic stop. Drive carefully and two intersections ahead. If you get stopped by DOT though, it would have been cheaper to rent a truck. Glen

Sgt Hulka

It seems REASONABLE that if you take the precautions described, it's feasible and safe. Of course, the lower the speed, the fewer, uh, bad implications of a panic stop...

91W350

I used a Toyota LandCruiser FJ40, the old style, a 1973 model, to pull firewood out of the trees along the river with for a long time. I would haul my saw stuff in the cruiser and load the wood on a two axle 16 foot trailer with no trailer brakes. I was stupid overweight for the 4200 pound cruiser, but what the heck, it was rural, all county and nothing was going to happen.

Well, something did happen at about 40 mph. A gentleman pulled out in front of me and I stood on the brakes. Spun my FJ40 around like a puppy on a tug rope. Dumped firewood in the road and ditch, turned me completely around and I was sliding backwards. We did not collide, but it was definitely an eye opener for both of us.

I got off lucky, the FJ stayed on its wheels and the trailer tongue on the way around crushed the driver's side tail light. I wound up in the ditch at an odd angle, managed to drive out and it took about an hour to get my load back on.

Had he pulled out a couple of tenths of a second later, I could have easily killed both of us. I felt very lucky to escape. After that I put brakes on the trailer and pulled it with my 67 Chevy K30. It happens so fast and you have no control over enertia, you are in for the ride. Like I said, I would pull a M1008 with a M1009 on a tow bar, but not very fast. Glen

yes slow is the way to go .we pull gooseneck trailers loaded with 14 one thousand lb hay bales behind 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks brakes are there but virtualy non exsistent .about 600 or so bales a year.slowdown far in advance of any corners watch out for idiots and you should be ok.

jrou111

IIRC, the 1008 is 5900lbs. I've pulled my boat weighing ~5500 behind my 1009. At above 65mph the temp light would start glowing and I'd slow down.

With the tall gearing on the 1009, IMHO it's more of a pain to tow at 45mph and much less lugging and easier at 55mph.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the 1008 is 5900lbs. I've pulled my boat weighing ~5500 behind my 1009. At above 65mph the temp light would start glowing and I'd slow down.

With the tall gearing on the 1009, IMHO it's more of a pain to tow at 45mph and much less lugging and easier at 55mph.
Does your boat trailer have brakes? I would guess it does. If it does, that makes all the difference in the world. Without brakes, you are looking at the situation right here, which is far from safe.

Anytime you have to drive two intersections ahead of yourself, worry about the towed vehicle spinning you around, and know you will not be able to make a panic stop, you can fairly certainly assume that what you are proposing is not safe. If you really and honestly think this is safe, stop at a weigh station or inspection station to ask. If you would never think of such nonesense, again, you can fairly certainly assume that what you are proposing is not safe. I mean no offense and only offer this as something to consider.

acmunro

I recently towed in a civilian K-10 (modified with military tie downs on front to attach my military medium towbar for just such an occasion.) with a M1009. I only had 3 miles to tow it and the M1009 was all that was available at the moment. It was like the tail wagging the dog. My friend was in the K10 to help with braking. I would not advise towing a M1008 with a M1009. I use my towbar alot and over long distances. I use a M1031 or a M1008 as the tow vehicle they work much better than the short wheelbase M1009.

jrou111

Does your boat trailer have brakes? I would guess it does. If it does, that makes all the difference in the world. Without brakes, you are looking at the situation right here, which is far from safe.

Anytime you have to drive two intersections ahead of yourself, worry about the towed vehicle spinning you around, and know you will not be able to make a panic stop, you can fairly certainly assume that what you are proposing is not safe. If you really and honestly think this is safe, stop at a weigh station or inspection station to ask. If you would never think of such nonesense, again, you can fairly certainly assume that what you are proposing is not safe. I mean no offense and only offer this as something to consider.
No brakes on the trailer and braking wasn't a problem. The M1009 stops the boat suprisingly well. If I didn't feel that it was safe tow, I wouldn't do it.

4bogginchevys

The wheel base presents alot more of a problem than the weight in my opinion. I think it's fair to say that 50% of mv vehicles have less than PERFECT brakes, couple that with short wheel base, and maybe slightly oversize tires.....disaster is just around the corner. I do think it's reasonable to tow a 108 with a 109, but is risky if anything mechanically is not totally sound. If it was me, I would atleast adjust the rear brakes and probably leave it in 2 to control speed. It would also be a great idea to have someone in the 108 helping with stops. I just dont want to see another 1 or 2 of these trucks ruined by a crash, and more important, the life behind the wheel.:-D

dilvoy

As mentioned before, the short wheelbase of the M1009 is not a benefit when towing. If the M1008 were to blow a front tire, it would pull the tail of the M1009 to that side fairly easily, since the heavy front end of the m1008 will overpower the tail of the M1009. At a slow speed it may be controllable, but maybe not at highway speeds. I think that would be my biggest concern.

Goose2448

Ok dont yell at me cuz I did not do it but, my civilan C20 towed a 5th wheel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. This was a few times and about 50 -100 miles each time. Now my Grandfarthers other truck witch was the same thing but older and a crew cab, towed the same trailer form MD to FL and back many times. He also went to TN and though DC with it and had no problems. I would say you probly be ok but go slow and you might want to put someone in the 1008 too.

Just my 2cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks