• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing M35 with M35

I'm going down to Camp LeJuene this next week to pick up the M35a2c along with two of my uncles.

My question is if one of them breaks down (hopefully not) do I just put the trans in neutral and transfer case in neutral or do I need to drop the driveshaft?

Do you hook an air line to the towed M35 for brakes?

I have the towbar with adjustable legs and have safety chains. Any hints or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

M1075

RE: M35

The towing procedures are covered in the manual. There is different guidance depending on whether your has an air-shift front end or sprag.

Westfolk has many miles towing and his advice is good. Keep the towbar as short as possible. Be sure to have the adapters mounted "upside" down so they don't break. Fold in the mirrors on the towed truck for better visibility.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: M35

I set my towbar with one hole showing when I flat tow, I was concerned about clearance between the vehicles (M109's) seemed to do fine, but 45 mph was about it as far as speed goes. Also had the front wheel oscillation problem on the tow when I first started out, came to a complete stop, started again slowly and it was fine. Hopefully Murphy will be over at Lane's house while your moving your trucks!

we pull the front and front rear drive shaft... or you can take and pull the rear axles and put drive flanges on them and just pull the front drive shaft...

But atleast you will have a better trip.. dont ever let wreckerman drive the tow rig

ida34

Joseph,
When were you in Ann Arbor?

Also can someone with a better knowledge of the brakes system tell me if one could just run a long air line back to the rear service line to get brakes on a towed deuce? Like the 5 tons, or does the front service connection on the 5 tons go to a special port on the hydrovac unit?

2deuce

I haven't ever towed a deuce, but I have had the problem with the towed vehicles wheels turning the wrong way on a 90 degree turn. To avoid that from happening don't start your turn until your towed vehicle is moving. I have had them go the wrong way a number of times if I start the turn too soon after a stop.

Greg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also can someone with a better knowledge of the brakes system tell me if one could just run a long air line back to the rear service line to get brakes on a towed deuce? Like the 5 tons, or does the front service connection on the 5 tons go to a special port on the hydrovac unit?
Runing the air line to the rear will not work. You could add a gladhand but you wil need some check valves to get it right. What you can to is remove the steel air line on the airpack and hook a coupler up to the can on the air pack and feed service air to that.

ida34

I was thinking it was different. I noticed the service valve on the front of the five ton had no shut off valve so I figured it was a one way air movement. The deuce actually was stopping the five ton pretty good before I figured out I forgot to turn my deuce service valve on. From now on I think it will be the five ton doing the towing.

To comment more on the thread, I just completed a 220 mile flat pull with a deuce pulling a five ton tractor.

cbvet

M1075 says "Be sure to have the adapters mounted "upside" down so they don't break."
I don't know what you mean by that.
I have a towbar which I haven't used yet, but would like to know the correct way to hook it up.
Is it best done differently from the towbar manual?
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET

BEASTMASTER

if the adapters are upsided down and you go over a rise or thru a dip you can break the towbar.i assume he meant make sure they are'nt upsidedown. but everyone has their own preference. good luck> :driver:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Towing a Deuce with another Deuce, and having the ability to stop it, in an emergency situation, is marginal, at best! In this State, (and I bet in most States), the law says that if the towed vehicle weighs 2/3's of the weight of the powered lead vehicle, it shall have brakes!I know a lot of Folks do it, and get away with it, but that doesn't make the procedure good, right, or safe!

Just reading these Posts & others, there are numerous oversights in safety, if not plain neglegence! When the Military tows a vehicle, its usually due to an emergency situation. Here, most of the Posts refer to using the procedure to "save money". When towing an M35 with another M35 at highway speeds, if there is ever an emergency situation, that second vehicle will push you into the middle of next week! If there is ever a death or injury involved, its going to be too bad!

Often the lead vehicles don't even have a load on it for extra traction, etc...... Well now that I have my "High Horse worked up into a lather".....
Be really, really carefull, because your a*s is hanging out, BIG TIME!

Lee in Alaska