• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing Power.

gjones

My buddy has an '85 CUCV (6.2) and wants to tow a camper. Is there any way to get better towing power out of this thing? He is only able to maintain about 50mph going up a hill.

Baloo

If it was mine, I would begin with an EGT gauge, turbo, intercooler, water/methanol kit. That way he could turn up the fuel, adjust the timing and make some good old fashioned power!

Technically once he installed the EGT gauge he would know where his engine is at then he could adjust the fuel and timing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barrman

The above will add power, but still have it below what any new turbo diesel truck comes with right off the dealer lot. If that is the goal, then get a newer truck.

Also keep in mind that the CUCV trucks were made when the national speed limit was 55 mph, it was expected to be slowed down on hills when towing and very few goose neck trailers were in use. Not trying to make excuses, just giving reference for what the trucks were designed for.

Without spending lots of money also understand that 6.2 engines vary greatly from engine to engine. I have 4 on the road just about daily. One has gobs more power than the others, two are kind of normal and the other is just a dog. All have the same basic compression numbers. IP health and injector health make a huge difference. Has your buddy replaced his IP or injectors?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks