• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing questions before moving

Milbikes

I may need to move a M1008 about 300 miles. I have a 1999 Suburban K2500 6.5 Diesel, heavy duty 8 lug axles, receiver hitch. It is not wired for trailer brakes. Options?

Should I flat tow the M1008 with a tow bar? This would require tags on the M1008.

Should I locate a trailer with surge brakes, which can handle the M1008?

My thoughts are a trailer with brakes is a safer bet, but weighs a good bit more.

Will flat towing the M1008 tax my brakes and/or push my Suburban around?

I've searched posts and found a lot of good info, but not specific to these questions.

Thanks for any tips. Hal

papercu

If flat towing, you need a tag and in most states that also means insurance. Big expense if you are not going to need it after the tow. I vote for the flatbed trailer or paying for it to be moved would be better. Wayne

wkbrdngsnw

A brake controller is not that expensive, I got mine used for $10 off craigs list. Even new time delay ones are only like $60. To hook them up its 4 wires, bat, ground, brake light, and the connection to the plug. They definitely are a lot better then surge or no brakes.

Boreal21

I had my brother drive my M1031 from San Diego up here to Utah... ~700 miles. The 1031 was the tow rig for another member of the forum, but the tags had expired shortly before I bought it. I paid $4 at the DMV for a 1 week permit to use while transporting it up here.

I wonder if you could get a cheap temp tag for the 1008 for the trip?

rnd-motorsports

I tow a fullsize pickup 4x4 extended cab with a towbar behind my Class C motorhome and dont know its there about 3000 miles a year YES I KNOW ITS NOT A SUBURBAN you are only going 300 the truck weight should be close to the suburban just remember its there. slow down for turns I mean dont exspect it to turn like a trailer they do turn harder or at least you will now its back there you will need tow lights at min. I wire in to the rear light plug at the fuse block of the truck being towed and ues the trucks tail lights you can use a set of magnet mount lights check with your state to see about the need for a plate some only requires to have in tow on the back or as stated get a temp plate for how ever long you need. The transfer case if its not the 205 has a pump in it that drives off the rear drive shaft so put the transfer case in nutrael leave the trans in park and turn key on just to unlock the steering wheel - - DRIVE LIKE YOU ARE TOWING A TRUCK WITH A TOW BAR! - -brakes will be okay your only going 300 miles and most of that will be driving not on the drakes I would hope. All of us has towed without trailer brakes at some point and yes a lot heavier than a truck just drive like it you will be fine ![thumbzup]

rnd-motorsports

OH yes ONE BIG THING remember when towing with a tow bar NEVER DRIVE INTO ANYPLACE YOU CANT DRIVE OUT OF!!!!!!!!! If still not sure if you have a tow bar take it around the block that should let YOU know if its something you want to do!

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES IF FLAT TOWING.

Otherwise THEY WILL BE DISCHARGED in that 'short' 300 mile towing trip.

I flat towed my M1009 with my M1028 with the medium tow bar 500 miles with no problems doing exactly as described above.

Just go slower than everyone else, stay in the right lane, smile and wave as they zip by waving their middle digit at you.

You will get there to where you are going, SAFELY and in good shape. Speed does kill. Especially when you are towing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks