• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tracing electrical gremlins

CanonNinja

Finally something real to fix on the truck. Over the last year, I've lost 3 headlights, just realizing they've all been on the same (driver) side. The last outing in the truck was interesting. I usually run my hazards on the freeways here, too many Dale Earnhardt-types in Houston. I decided to run my headlights for a bit, they were on about maybe 10min before I came up behind a car and noticed the headlights were dimming out on me, flickering almost. I look down, to my surprise, and see smoke coming from the 3-lever. Shut it off, and that was that. Got to my destination, and noticed that I had also lost the driver side front marker light bulb.

I unplugged the headlight on the driver side, tried the switch, nada on the headlights, completely out. About 4 hours and 70 miles later, I try the headlights again, and to my surprise, they flicker for a second, but gave the truck gas and they lit up fine, same with the convoy lights. The headlights would dim/flicker intermittenly, and the convoy lights would also lose power. Finally at the end of the night, lost the driverside headlight again, but the passenger side works fine, still a quick flicker once in a while.

Service lights were working fine still. Is just my 3-lever toast, or do I need to look for shorts in the wiring harness as well? Im thinking of just replacing the entire cab/lighting harness and 3-lever at this point.

Jones

Sounds like you may have a bare spot going to ground through the light switch.
If your wiring harness is old and dried out, in order to do away with frayed insulation, connectors coming loose, rusty/dirty ground lugs-- a fresh wiring harness is always the best move if you can afford it. Install the new one with the benefit of a good wiring diagram to prevent wrong-routing the new one by following the old one, if it was hooked up wrong.
Replacing the three-lever is a good idea too, especially since you say the seal failed and the factory smoke leaked out. Dirty or poor contacts inside it will create a LOT of resistance and heat, in addition to reduced electrical current to the bulbs (dim or flickering light).
Tell us what you find.

Jakob

I have a question on the same lines too. When I picked up my truck, all the lights worked fine. Now though, when I hit the turn signals, they stay on solid until I tun them off. This happened when I hit a big bump in the road. I haven't check the tail lights, but I think they work fine still. That rules out a bad blinker box right? Someone said check the grounds, but I haven't been able to figure out where those are at.

Also, there's a small box above the blinker box that just has two connections in an over/under layout. The two wires that go into this "module" have been shorted together with a 10ga piece of wire and a 15amp fuse. What is that little module and will this "fusible link" hurt anything?

Boatcarpenter

Jakob, The ground for the flasher unit is a short wire from the unit to one of the mounting bolts. It is critical to the blinker function. Check it and use cut washers ( per orders of Bjorn, the cut washer king). The module you refer to I think is the breaker for the horn circuit mounted on the firewall. I would presume it has failed and the fused wire connecting the two wires to it acts as a bypass. Saturn Surplus sells them for $12.50 if I recall. The fuse protects the circuit, so your'e OK there, replace it if you want.
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks