• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trail ride fun

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very, VERY cool pictures. Post more if you have them. Do you think the extra weight of the body is a help or a hindrance off-road? I would have thought the latter...but I don't have much experience off-roading with a deuce.

Rattlehead

Bkubu,
More weight is a good thing ONLY when there is a hard base below the soft stuff, and its within reach of your tires. That wasn't the case for me in this situation! [^]

As far as the deuce taking on mud that deep, well, it didn't. But the winch was great. I really should have used a snatch block, but there wasn't enough cable to make a round trip to the tree. I swear that left front wheel felt like it was coming off the ground when it was winching out. I put everything (t/case, trans, transfer case) in LOW, eased out the clutch, and it crept up and out. For awhile I was sweating the up part of that! The motor started lumbering a bit at idle, so I slightly squeezed just a little throttle in it. Yeah I know they say use the dash throttle to avoid sudden changes in rpm, but I felt I could do it more smoothly with my foot, and could get off the throttle quickly if something went wrong.

This was actually the 2nd time I got stuck in the same spot. The first time was going the other direction. Another deuce was with on that trip, so he just used a snatch strap to pull me out. Of course I had to try it again coming back through from the other direction.

The Mog in the pic below was unstoppable in the mud! He would drive through a mud hole at a lesiurely pace, stop (sometimes in the middle of it), then back up through it, then go forward through it again just to erase any doubts someone might have of it being able to make it.

No one could make it up the sandy hill, though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water purification trucks are just cool and you've got a prime specimen there. Love to see a deuce being used! Is that a lockout hub I see on the LR axle end?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding Rattlehead. I consulted with Art Bloom many years ago on just that project. Whose axle did you use? I know Ouverson has one that's not too expensive. rdixieliller is working on a cutter to cut splines and thinks he might be able to convert a stock shaft. Still splitting hairs with the length though. Works darned good doesn't it? I brought this up on the MV mailing list in 2001 and it was a tough sale.

Rattlehead

I got both the axle and the hub from Art. I was on the MV mailing list when he announced it, and it was NOT a tough sell to me, it was just a matter of time to get the money together. I didn't want to wait any longer for the jackshaft disconnect that may or may not get produced, and also figured that this system is easier to install and more reliable. I didn't know about the Oversion hubs until I got this one. I am not too impressed with the Selectro design, mainly the single O-ring seal. I will pull it off this week and find out how it did last weekend as far as sealing. But yeah, it is great to be able to unlock them so easily. My driving usually consists of a long highway drive, then a bunch of offroading, then a long highway drive back home, so it is perfect. I really want super singles on this truck, and the rear hub will be even more valuable in minimizing tire scrub (both front and rear) on those expensive tires.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are either the M45, M45A2, M46 or M46A2 depending on if they were the 1500 GPH, 3000GPH, gas or multifuel. As you can see its just the M series number for the cab/chassis trucks. They were delivered as chassis trucks and had purification equipment added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks