• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Advice

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not really sure where this thread belongs, so feel free to move.

I'm looking for advice on trailers to haul skid steers or mini-excavators. I don't have a CDL so am limited to around a 5 ton trailer. Are there makes/models in this weight range that have air brakes? I'm puzzeled as to my options with brakes.

I'll will be towing with a standard deuce, or possibly removing the bed of one of my trucks and adding a 5th wheel. Are there trailers in that weight range that are 5th wheels?

If you are currently hauling a similar trailer with a deuce, I'd greatly appreciate your opinions and information on your set up. Of course pictures are always great.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mike_Pop

I've seen very few trailers that would be small enough for a skid steer. I think the closest thing you will find is an M1061 5 ton trailer. They are 14' long, dual axle, air brakes. If you can, find one that has the dropped deck and wheel wells. The deck height is about 12" lower than the standard M1061.

In the photo below, I modified the wheel wells and cut them down to 2" high. I could easily drive a vehicle over them.

Attachments

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike.

I don't necessarily need a military trailer. Anything will do. I guess I'm looking for someone who halls small construction equipment with a duece and how they do it. I've found trailers, but most in this weight range or capacity don't have air brakes. Most have electric and of course they are all 12v.

Mike_Pop

The benefits of towing a military trailer:
1. They can usually carry more than what they are rated for.
2. No need to change the wires, plugs, or bulbs.
3. Most lunettes will be the same height as the deuce pintle.
4. They are really cool.

All I own are military trailers and it really makes towing them easy. I don't have to worry about rewiring any of them since all the connections are the same. It's very convenient.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks