• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer options? Will a M1008 on 37's tow a gooseneck.?

Whitfield

How well does a M1008 tow a gooseneck.? With the NA 6.2L & 37's I do not expect modern-day performance or comfort. I understand the 37's may limit me on GVW but I'm mainly looking at limited use as the collector hobby allows. I am aiming for hauling other vintage GM C/K trucks, CUCV's, and posslibly an HWMMV.

Anything I should look to avoid? Are there any adjustments I should make to do this better / safer?

Tempted to sell my 16' 10K equipment trailer and upgrade for greater capacity + get away from mobile home style hub/wheel. A friend and I are looking to go in together buying a 25' 20K gooseneck trailer. (Not concerned with the joint ownership side of the equation).

I am stock driveline lifted 5" on Hwmmv 37" tires. ( NV4500 on the shelf / researching Banks turbo install).

Keith_J

Banks turbo is a free floating unit, this is why it still feels weak compared to say a 6 liter Power Stroke.

If you can get boost down low in the 1400 RPM range and maintain it through 2600, it would feel much better.

The Banks system will emit soot until boost builds, this is wasted power.

This is why I am using twin VNT turbos..each sized for 150 Hp. No room for intercooler so a bit of methanol, this will also add fuel.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been my experience that the NA 6.2 is NOT what I would any near call a powerful engine obviously the gear ratio in effect has been changed with your tires diameter your speed will increase but your load on the engine will also increase if anything you more than likely hurt your towing ability with the larger diameter tires. I would say that turbocharging and increase your fuel input accordingly is about your only option at this point unless your going to keep the pickup for a long time and want to use it a lot for towing fairly heavy loads and if that were the case I would just get a different engine like a DuraMax also another GM product. In reality though I doubt the feasibility in doing that because it will likely need a different transmission and possibly running gear upgrades and the cost is going to greatly exceed the value of your pickup. The other option is keep the 1008 as is and just buy another pickup capable of pulling whatever you want? I hate to say it but that makes the most sense!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've towed way more than I should with my 1008 on 37's several times. Last big tow I was at 25-26K gross. (Had a 13K ditch witch on a gooseneck that weighs 5K. Slow is an understatement. Course I still have just a TH400. So with your NV4500 you could hold the gearing better. (My trailer has 3 7K axles under it)

Keith_J

Say, I would like to see photos of that twin turbo setup.
Still on the design board. First is to get the TCI 6X installed and working.

The most crucial part is controlling these beasts as they can easily spool over 225,000 RPM if drive pressure rises with vanes closed. That's 25 shaft horsepower each.

The TCI harness has both throttle position sensor output (0 -5 volt analog) and engine RPM (pulse). I have a 2 Bar pressure sensor, also 0 -5 volt. Too complex for an analog computer, I have a prototype Arduino program to use these data axes to control vane position.

My goal is no smoke at 65 microliters per stroke. At any RPM. Flat torque. 220 Hp at 2800 RPM.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still on the design board. First is to get the TCI 6X installed and working.

The most crucial part is controlling these beasts as they can easily spool over 225,000 RPM if drive pressure rises with vanes closed. That's 25 shaft horsepower each.

The TCI harness has both throttle position sensor output (0 -5 volt analog) and engine RPM (pulse). I have a 2 Bar pressure sensor, also 0 -5 volt. Too complex for an analog computer, I have a prototype Arduino program to use these data axes to control vane position.

My goal is no smoke at 65 microliters per stroke. At any RPM. Flat torque. 220 Hp at 2800 RPM.
I hope that you start a new thread on your project. I'm sure there are many others besides myself who would like to follow your engineering.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might I add that the administrator dude failed to mention that his CUCV with 37s has a turbo from a 6.5 fitted to it. Question is, can it? Likely, with enough time and perseverance. Should it, likely not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks