• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer questions -glad hands on 20 ton flat bed

The trailer below is in route back to a loading dock pickup in the town I live in. The truck driver just called and said when GL was loading the trailer the glad hands were damaged on the front of the trailer. He was thinking they are normal 1/2" thread pipe glad hands. Is this correct? I want to make sure I buy and have the correct ones when he gets here.

Also- Are military trailers setup that when the air is not connected the brakes apply? Or are they free wheeling? I'm just thinking worse case scenerio if the glad hands don't hook up, etc. I can drive it to our storage lot 4 miles away from the loading ramp.

Vulcan trailer manufacturing company inc. 20 ton low bed semi trailer , 40 ft type V, style 4w, class A,Vulcan LB 20-6720 serial#1V9L51208E1008060 Curb Weight#15,140 Payload Weight #40,000lbs.

thanks again for your help,
Andy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Andy
If the trailer has spring brakes (double pots), you will need + 60# of air to move it, at least that much, on the "Emergency" side. If it doesn't have the springs brakes, and there is still air in its tanks, get under there and drain the air. That will release the brakes, and you can tow it, "for emergency purposes only"!

Those Glad hands also cone in 3/4" NPT, As well as the 1/2" NPT. The smaller size is most common. Those glad hands are not expensive - just get all the sizes. Hopefully, the damage is just on the glad hand, itself, and not the male pipe thread.

Good Luck

Lee in Alaska

Mike_Pop

I've had military trailers that had a special "T" bolt that gets screwed into the back of the air pot to keep the diaphragm disengaged which allows them to free wheel. Also, you can unscrew the adjustment screw for the spring brakes so they won't engage. But remember to readjust them when you actually want to have brakes.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I'll just pick up the 1/2" and 3/4" to be safe. I'll just return what I don't use! If it is light enought outside I'll try to snap some pictures.

Andy