• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Recepticals?

rmgill

How do these things come apart? I need to be able to supply power on pin K (wire 37) for the power converter that's going to provide power for the brakes and brake controller in the trailer.

I've pulled the rear compression ring off. Should the whole rubber plug pop out the back allowing the wires to be pulled from the rubber bushing? Or are the rubber bushings two piece units with the pins held in the whole assembly and the compressed bushing only holding the wires steady?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should the whole rubber plug pop out the back allowing the wires to be pulled from the rubber bushing? --- YES, but I wouldnt say it "pops" out, but it does come out.. Will take some work to loosen it up.

Trango

By the way, I have a trailer hookup I got that I'm probably looking to sell here soon. It's the piece that plugs into the deuce and has the packard connectors to plug into the trailer harness itself. Message me if you're interested.

Thanks
Bob

rmgill

Emmado, I managed to pop it out with a pair of C-Clamps a big socket and a wrench to bridge across. Came out pretty simply with the use of steady pressure on the c-clamps.

Soldering in the tight space was tough. It looks like it'll hold, but not my best soldering job. I'll have to make sure I didn't make any connections that I didn't intend on. But, I now have a nice #37 lead back to the trailer for powering the trailer's 24-12 volt converter.

rmgill

Squirt truck designed a box that works pretty well. It takes power from the truck lead #37 and converts it to 12 volts with a DC-DC converter. Then you supply 12 volt power via a 20 amp fuse to inertial brake controller. That gets the signal for brake function via an airline switch that hooks to the service brake line. I'm running 24 volts for the trailer lights. A breakaway switch, 12 volt battery and 12 volt charger hooks in there as well.

You can't run a relay for the brake lights to activate the brake controller because military brake lights have left and right brake light indications paired up with the turn signal indicators. So you'd get the brake controller turning on and off when the turn signal is on.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, can you explain how you got that thing apart a little better. I've failed at every attempt to do so.

rmgill

Ok, there are two rubber parts. One that merely holds the wires and one that holds the pins and is pressed through the metal fixture from the back.

I took two c-clamps and hooked them over the back of the flange (assembly taken off of the truck to dangle down). A large socket that would fit the face of the rubber side (pin side) is used to press the whole rubber bits through the back. A piece of metal, in this case a large combination wrench is used to bridge the c-clamps across the socket. Turn the c-clamps and they press the socket up through the metal shell which of course pushes the rubber connector up and out through the back. There's a flange/rim on the inside of the metal shell that the rubber part is held to.

After that, the rubber bushing that covers the pin solder points is just slid up the wires. Easier to do if you lube everything up with a bit of pull soap I suspect. In my case I did it dry, but it worked.

Oh electrical motor spray lube/cleaner works really well on the pins to make it easier to insert the plug and still not cause electrical problems.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it, thanks! Now if I could just figure out a way to get the darned trailer side rubber plug apart, I'd be doing good!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that. Despite my best efforts, I can't make it happen. I've ran across a couple of folks who say they've got them apart but no conclusive proof!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks