• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer with tracks?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking online tonight at the Clark Truck website. The have a trailer for sale with tracks over the tires! What the heck is going on there? Are they there to increase the footprint to keep it from sinking? Was it towed behind a tracked vehicle? Are they motorized? Anyone?

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This was almost surely part of the 101st Airborne or a very similar unit. They had tracks like that for the duece and 900 series trucks it does a great job at lowering the ground pressure. I saw them in the field at Fort Campbell, KY

ems4ty

Wow! That looks awesome. Can't say I've ever seen that before. But, honestly don't know anything about that setup. If anyone else knows, please feel free to chime in.

Is that street legal? What keeps the tracks in place on the tires? Can't really see any grooves or guides on them.

Would look wicked behind the Duece...

Cool!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ems4ty said:
Is that street legal? What keeps the tracks in place on the tires? Can't really see any grooves or guides on them.

Cool!
It looks to me like each side has 4 wheels (bogies) and the treads have a raised ridge on the inside that rides between the tires.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Umm, yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I know they aren't really bogies, but that's how they function. The trailer on top has single wheels of a different off-set. I would love to see a deuce running those in the sand!

rmgill

Those trailers can be pulled behind a M113 to carry a MICLIC forwards. Lower ground pressure helps get the lone charge forwards when towed behind an engineer track for a breeching operation.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Sorry to hijack the thread, but are the blue things in this picture dummy MICLIC rockets? I saw them at the Fontana MV boneyard trip, and wondered what they were.

Attachments

papercu

trailer

They are in TM 9-2330-389-14&P it's a M200A1 trailers with the Tracked Suspension and then they use whatever body is needed. I have a friend in Brunswick Ga that has one with a cargo body. Wayne

devilman96

RE: trailer

You use to see a lot belted trailers on GL up untill about 2 years ago... Several went out of the GA locations and a few elsewhere that I noted from time to time... Neat set up!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
nf6x said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but are the blue things in this picture dummy MICLIC rockets? I saw them at the Fontana MV boneyard trip, and wondered what they were.
Sure looks like it. The pic shows a MICLIC and a tracked trailer.

Attachments

Chief_919

Sorry to bringa topic back from the dead, but yes those are inert MICLIC rockets, and do you know if they are still there? I need a couple for a project.

Chief_919

More than likely and from looking at the mud on the sidewalls of the tires the tracks help to keep the trailer from getting stuck in the mud... kind of like snowshoes.
They came about after Engineers had difficulty towing the MICLIC in the sand behind the M113's in Desert Storm. We never used them in wheeled Engineer units, our MICLICs where on regular M200A1 trailers, but the mech engineers had them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks