• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailers out of New Castle Truck Center

Ratch

Anyone have an idea why many are coming out with the lunette's and landing legs bent and screwed up?
I picked one up recently and discovered the lunette is bent and the brake head damaged just enough to not be obvious in photos, but make the lockout misaligned and the internal shock absorber broken. So it will oscillate and feel like a 1000lb hammer on the truck during braking, and you can't lock the little bugger out to prevent that.
In many of the pics of trailers auctioned recently, I'm seeing the same thing but much worse than mine. Lunette's look like the were smacked or the trailer was jack-knifed (my 7 year old suggested that, I didn't even think of jack-knifing!). I can't imagine someone is so bad at driving, they jackknife every trailer, though.

I checked a trailer I picked up a year ago from the same yard, and sure enough, it's bent similarly. Not bad at all, and it functions perfect, but I can see where it was probably forced in the wrong direction. On that particular trailer, I had to tighten the brake head and a-frame bolts, but I never noticed the bend until looking for it.
I didn't notice the bend in this new trailer until I started towing and the brake beat the snot out of me and my truck...

Are they grabbing them with the forklift some weird way? Pushing them off the side of a flatbed semi? Driving a 5-ton really fast past a row of parked trailers?

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's just Privates treating military equipment like a rented mule, it's not their money and their tax dollars.

Ratch

I thought maybe that, but I've bought dozens of trailers from GL over the past couple years, and these are the first I've seen like this.
Possible I didn't see it on the others, but of my current trailers, just these two out of New Castle are screwed up. Kinda like the taillights broken off at every other yard... This one keeps the taillights pretty nice...