• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny and Clutch Question

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of you probably have read about my adventure coming home from WI with an overfilled tranny. Thereby spewing 90wt all over the clutch. My plan is to just clean it up with some brake clean until I can get a new rear main and rear main carrier seal ordered in. Then I'm gonna drop the tranny and clean the hell outta the clutch and flywheel and all. While I've got it down, whether it needs it or not I'm replacing the rear main seal while I'm in there. I only have to drive it one time between now and whenever, and that's just for a quick inspection by the DMV for the title work. After that I should have all the time I need to work on it.

But there is a question I'm getting to. When I stopped on the way home to clean the clutch up a little, We pulled the access cover from the bell housing and there was a spring clip laying on the cover. At the time I didn't have a clue what it was, now from looking at the TM I see that it is one of the spring clips that holds the clutch throw-out bearing to the clutch release fork. The question is for anybody who's had these things off before. Is it safe to drive about 25 miles round trip to get this inspection done or will I do great damage to something in the tranny or clutch area??? After I noticed the spring clip on the way home that night, we drove it about 300 more miles and didn't hear anything odd or feel anything different. But I guess I just want some reassurance.

Also, I know I can get the rear main seal from OD Iron and a few other places, but where can I get the rear main carrier gasket? Thanks in advance.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely safe and no problem, Speddmon. If the second clip remained in place you can drive all you want. If not than 25 or even 250 more miles wouldn't do any harm either.

G.

tm america

should be fine those are only there to keep things from rattling when the clutch pedal is released.the pressure plate will push the throw out bearing back if everything is adjusted right it wont have enough room to spin cuz the return spring pulled it back

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well that's good to know. Now, does anybody have any idea where I can get the rear main carrier gasket from. I know I can get the rear main from a few places, but I understand that there is a carrier gasket in there also. I believe it was gimpyrob who just changed his out and dropped a wrench on his nose. If nobody knows right off hand, I guess I'll PM him.

54reo

I ordered my rear main from Mike (OD Iron) and it was here in a matter of three days. A LOT cheaper than NAPA.

As far as the carrier gasket, I made mine from gasket stock. Be sure to put a little RTV on both sides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks