• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny/ engine mount ?

Wyattearp

Okay first off, after returning from Bjorn's yesterday evening i decided to do some more work on the deuce, i removed the tranny floor cover, i noticed what looked like 2 lifting points on the tranny one was on the drivers side left corner and the other passenger side right rear corner, are those for lifting the tranny as i didn't see any other anchor points.
Second, how in the world do you remove the drivers side engine mount bolts on the front of engine, the steering box seems to be in the way, am i to assume the steering has to be removed or would it be a good practice to remove anyways that way no damage occurs during engine removal.

Also to use the come-a-long and 4x4 post to drop down tranny would you need to lay post from door to door or run post north and south in cab(facing firewall to back cab glass) hope someone understands what im talking about there.

The only thing about today is with those storms in the gulf, were getting hammered today with rain :cry: :mad: and not one thing i can do...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, not sure about the bolt but with the 4x4, run it from an open windshiled to the back lip of the cab.

Wyattearp

thats what i was unclear of until yesterday and i was looking at how the tranny and the floor layed and thought that maybe that was how it had to go. Yeah there are what apprears to be 2 anchors to use bolts through and lift the tranny with on those corners i mentioned...

Wyattearp

If i had a digital camera i could show you, its kinda like the old V8 gas engines using the bolt and chain method, Im guessing that is what those 2 things are for on that tranny, Oh by the way is there a plate or something i can take loose to check the gears in the tranny, I didn't see one one the top of it anywhere.

ajg6989

I have to do my engine mounts. I hit a hole at 30mph on a dirt trail and the deuce went airborne only time I felt a smooth ride in a deuce until I hit the ground again. I just used a jack and some wood to do one at a time the only thing is I had to use a torch to cut the bolt they were bent and was much quicker just cutting them out.

Wyattearp

thanks AJG for the info, the front bolts through the bottom of the block on the drivers side, does one need to remove the steering box to get at those it looked mighty tight in there to me, the reason being im in the process of replacing engines and the old one is coming out very soon due to hole in block.

Wyattearp

I will do my best, unfortunatly i won't have any pictures do to not having a digital camera but after doing a engine swap i will be able to give anyone else information on the to do's and not to do's...

Wyattearp

Looks like red devil is going to have his out before me, if you do let me know how it went.
I removed the tach cable, air lines from compressor today, after waking up that is, those 3 days 12hrs weekends are going to kill me for sure, anyways looks like im down to the fuel lines now and the tranny removal doesn't look so bad, looks like 4bolts where it attaches to the transfer case then the 30 or so bolts up front. I do have a question looks like i will have to remove the tranny with the low range box( i think thats it) also, guess i will have to detach some linkage and what nots there. I belive it will be smart to also to unhook the drive shaft that runs from the front axle also or am i being to careful, I just don't want anything damaged that shouldn't be(I don't wanna replace pieces i don't :freaked: have to)

red devils dude

yes take off the front drive shaft.
those bolts by the steering box dont have to come you unbolt the hole engine mount from the frame there are two bolts
next too the radiator bolts take those out and she comes right out(dont forget the rear engine mounts) I'll have pics later
this week.

Wyattearp

I was debating that today and figured that was the best way to go with engine removal.
Are you going to remove tranny and engine as one unit or are you going to drop the tranny down and just remove engine.

Wyattearp

alrighty, as some of you know i work 12hrs night shift and also the rain has been a pain here, finally got the pto shaft removed today and the front drive shaft unbolted from the front axle, next step make sure all connections with pto gear box are apart and then proceed with tranny drop.

Wyattearp

Thanks Red Devil, all the info will be greatly appreciated, I figure once i do one engine swap then the next(lets hope is a long time away) will be much easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks