• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TRANS codes solved D1 4416 and others

jpinreno

Just a note of what solved my trans codes

6 months ago had to get towed home for Allison Transmission codes:
D1 4416
D2 4621
D3 4627

It started with limiting to gear 5 from 7 and very hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd. After clearing and much consternation on a trip, I got it towed as when shiut off it then defaulted to DNS. I spent a lot of time learning about the transmission over winter as I prepared to hunt a likely grounded wire or the wire carrying the TransID (195) to ECM, which seems to be the culprit in many cases. Rarely was I told it was a real transmission issue.

Long story short, I started the spring project of getting it on the road and thought I would start with fresh batteries.

Believe it or not, the transcodes cleared, and trans now shifts and is no longer in a DNS state. I fired it up over winter a few times on jumper box but not on actual new batteries.

The manual talks about failure modes in low voltage conditions with gradual failure of solenoids in the above mentioned pattern. Thought I would write up the fix in case it helps others. REPLACE your batteries for good battery voltage before you condemn your transmission or ECM's as the culprit.

JP

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TCM is the first module to complain about bad power/ground and seems to be more sensitive than other modules to abuse of this rule. A very large percentage of problems people have with these trucks is OFTEN just poor/bad batteries, and poor/bad connections to the batteries. I've see these TCU's get so confused by poor batteries that after slaving them off and disconnecting the cables they jump in and out of gear repeatedly all by themselves just sitting and idling.

That said - you should clean, inspect, and dielectric grease all the connections at the transmission. Many people have reported problems with corrosion or moisture, etc in the external connections.

Last edited:

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cleaned the connector to the trans and the connectors in the kickplate all around the same time I redid the 2 main ground connections to chassis, one at alt and one at starter. My prior shift irregularities haven't recurred since.
C8A95ADD-A4C5-44D1-879B-919DDAB57BE2.jpeg

jpinreno

I may have spoken too soon. After test drive it reverted to 4th gear mode, and when parked and restarted resumed the DNS status. I undid the J119/P119 cab harness connector and OHM'd out the various pins per manual. My code was D1 4416, which is E solenoid, and when testing that solenoid I had an open circuit. Does that seem to point to an actual bad solenoid? To me could indicate a broken wire, so next step may be to drop the cannon connector at the trans and check continuity from rear to the cab P119 connector. I was going to drop the pan next to inspect the wiring from trans back, but all other solenoids seemed to test in at 4 ohms even as expected. Do any of you know if the pinout is identical from the P119 connector to the cannon plug at the trans? I can;t seem to find a schematic for that in the manuals.

Skyhawk13205

I may have spoken too soon. After test drive it reverted to 4th gear mode, and when parked and restarted resumed the DNS status. I undid the J119/P119 cab harness connector and OHM'd out the various pins per manual. My code was D1 4416, which is E solenoid, and when testing that solenoid I had an open circuit. Does that seem to point to an actual bad solenoid? To me could indicate a broken wire, so next step may be to drop the cannon connector at the trans and check continuity from rear to the cab P119 connector. I was going to drop the pan next to inspect the wiring from trans back, but all other solenoids seemed to test in at 4 ohms even as expected. Do any of you know if the pinout is identical from the P119 connector to the cannon plug at the trans? I can;t seem to find a schematic for that in the manuals.
Wtec2 or 3? A1 or A0?

jpinreno

Wtec2 or 3? A1 or A0?
It's a 2002 A1. I got my son to help me and we tested all solenoids, and this time realizing there are upper case and lower case letters on P119 we measured correct ohms on all solenoids within range. We then did jumper the correct pins on J119 and measured continuity as expected for E solenoids pins 2 and 6 on the P114 connector per the manual; All cables look good with flexible insulation. I have been told by Superman and others that the short to ground solenoid codes 44X are often wiring related, but I am now inclined to inspect and clean the trans connector next. If nothing is found, I was thinking of dropping the pan, testing internal harness and replacing E solenoid while access. I have put 12k trouble-free miles on this rig and done massive maintenance, so very bummed to be encountering the DNS.

jpinreno

It's a 2002 A1. I got my son to help me and we tested all solenoids, and this time realizing there are upper case and lower case letters on P119 we measured correct ohms on all solenoids within range. We then did jumper the correct pins on J119 and measured continuity as expected for E solenoids pins 2 and 6 on the P114 connector per the manual; All cables look good with flexible insulation. I have been told by Superman and others that the short to ground solenoid codes 44X are often wiring related, but I am now inclined to inspect and clean the trans connector next. If nothing is found, I was thinking of dropping the pan, testing internal harness and replacing E solenoid while access. I have put 12k trouble-free miles on this rig and done massive maintenance, so very bummed to be encountering the DNS.
sorry, forgot it is WTEC III

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks