• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans Fill tube seal replacement...

Asmoday

Can someone suggest the easiest way to replace the dipstick tube seal in the trans? I read the TM and I know it's a simple job on the trans end but how do you get at that bracket bolt the holds the dipstick and vacuum hard line to the bell housing?

Is there a trick to getting at that bolt?

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using a three foot long extension with a swivel on the end.

Barrman

Yep, do it from behind the transfer case. Use locking extensions if you can because once you break that bolt free, all your extensions and socket could go flying.

Asmoday

OK...I'm finally getting around to doing this....:) I see how to get it off based on the suggestions. Now can someone tell me the easiest way to get the bolt back in...LOL...?

It seems it will be real tricky to get the bolt back into position with the extension.

Anyone know the torque spec off their head? I'm missing finding it in the TM for some reason...:?

Barrman

More than likely, you will need a u-joint type socket to get it off from way back behind the t-case. Wrap the flexible part of the socket with electrical tape to make it stiffer and just put the bolt back in with it.

3/8" bolt should be torqued to around 35 ft-lbs.

camogriz

You should be able to reach up and get the bolt started by hand. I have done it several times (unfortunately) due to a bad transmission and subsequent bad used transmission. You just have to feel around for the bolt hole and use the extensions and swivel to tighten it up after it's started.

Asmoday

So F'in frustrated...Trans fill tube seal...Help...!!!!

Ok...doing this job....I was able to get the bolt out that clamps the fill tube to the transmission but how in the **** do you get the fill tube out to put the seal in....!!!

I have tried everything. Removed the vacuum line for the TPS and moved it out of the way, etc etc etc....

The fill tube keeps hitting the tunnel and no matter how I manipulate it it will not come clear.

I just can't get the fill tube high enough to clear the hole in the trans and pull it out and move it out of the way.

I don't know what do I'm so upset. All because the PO swapped the trans before I bought it and never put a seal in at all....!

I'm about ready to spontaneously combust...!

Help....! Do I need to undo a motor mount or something...????

ralbelt

Posssibly remove the 4 bolts on the TC cross brace, might lower rhe trans enough to gain clearance.

The last time I reinstalled my tube I cut about 3/8 off the bottom, it's not needed, and made it go in easier.

Asmoday

ralbelt....I send you a colossal thanks!!! I did as you suggested and it allowed just enough clearance to get the tube out....not much...maybe a 1/16 of an inch but enough. I had no room to trim it down though but I got the new seal and tube in no problem.

For some reason this project really kicked my ass..! I did find some issues while doing it like the metal trans vacuum line laying on top of the fuel line effectively pinching it slightly when tightened down so I had to carefully re-bend some fuel and vacuum lines. The Army that tech last did maintenance on the truck in this area....what a hack. For whatever reason the nuts that hold the clamps for the trans vacuum lines were excessively tight and wound up pinching the trans vacuum line slightly when I removed them so I had to fix that as well.

I had to take off a lot of stuff to get the dipstick fill tube up out of the trans. CDR valve and bracket, fuel filter, fuel lines just to name a few.

As far as the bolt that holds the dipstick tube in place on the bell-housing, I was able to literally climb inside the engine compartment and get it threaded from above. What really concerned me was that it was only finger tight when I went to remove it so I will be re-torquing trans, flywheel, etc. bolts in the next day or so. I ran out of daylight today and I hate working with work lights.

A huge thanks to all for the tips....! The electrical tape on the swivel socket and long extension did the trick to get the bolt out that holds the fill tube.

Again...thanks guys for the great help!!!

Posssibly remove the 4 bolts on the TC cross brace, might lower the trans enough to gain clearance.

The last time I reinstalled my tube I cut about 3/8 off the bottom, it's not needed, and made it go in easier.

Last edited: