• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans shine/buzz

jag7720

I started the "oil pump" thread. I am starting this new one because of what I found.

I have been gettingthis whine/buzz sound when the truck is cold... it lasts until it warms up. It only does it under load.

This morning I had my wife power break the truck so I could locate the sound...

Smoke started coming out from under the truck. I shut it off and crawled under... found this

It is three clips put together... sorry about the sound, I was running to get the camera.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA3PPJQaTcw[/media]
The smoke has a burnt electrical smell...

What gives? What is that tube? And what could smoke like that in the tranny?

1956_4x4

The tube is a vent tube on the top of the transmission. I've never seen one blow smoke, but they are key for getting rid of condensation and equalizing pressure. With the mentioned high-pitched whine, I would guess that there is something slipping and generating heat/smoke.

Smitty

ctmustang

A whining or buzzing sound from the tranny means usually the pump is fried and could be the cause of the smoke because of low fluid to clutch baskets and smoking the clutch packs. Seen this many times at work.
If it still drives I would replace the pump and see if it was too late. Pumps are relatively inexpensive. Directly behind torque convertor.
Good Luck C.T.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks