• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans/transfer separation

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Well tried the search, but none of the posts really answered my question or listed the symptoms I am having so I am here to pick your collective brain....... Background on this truck:
1984 M1009 last serviced 11/07 by the guard, paperwork indicated the trans, transfer, were replaced, paperwork mileage indicated 68,xxx..... I bought the truck this past september, had it flatbeded home, mileage indicates 73,xxx....... took it for a test drive and it runs beautifuly except for one thing-- the transfer case seems to be stuck in 4H. The shifter will shift freely between the 2H and 4H positions but will not shift into N or 4L. All the shift linkage is free and well greased, and there are no abnormal noises or burned fluid smell from teh transfer.... I tried all the tricks such as playing with linkage adjustment, and jacking the wheels up thinking the lockout hubs got stuck in the locked position and that there may have been torsional binding as a result but they are free. Anyone have any ideas??

This leads me to my next question. I want to pull the transfer and would like to know the best way to go about separating it from the trans. Is the "spacer/mounting foot" that sits in between the trans and transfer and bolts to the crossmember serve as both an output bearing retainer for the trans and an input bearing retainer for the transfer? Could I get away with separating the transfer from this spacer so as to leave the trans and crossmember undisturbed in the truck?

All help is appreciated......

Ziggy

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The transfer case has its own bearing reatainer. It's a pretty easy R&R. I have done it in the driveway a couple of times. I rebuilt the t-case once right after I got my 1009 because the pads on t he shift forks were worn out and it kept popping out of gear. The second time was in done in the kitchen of my college apartment :)

I would block the wheels, remove the drive shafts, put a floor jack with a block of wood under the tranny pan, loosen the 2 mount bolts, remove the 4 x-member bolts, remove the mount bolts/x-member, remove the t-case mounting bolts, slide it off of the input shaft and take it someplace warm to check it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks