• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case/Power Question

Steelreaper80

So, hopefully in about 2 months I will send my truck in to have it professionally turned up. I am just not brave enough to do it. I have a mowing contract in Terre Haute Indiana and will drop it off at Scheid Diesel and have them do it along with changing the timing to 16 degrees and installing a pyro and boost gauge. My question is why is the transfer case the main limiter of the power that these trucks are capable of? Just for comparison, I pulled up the specs of the new Ram 3500 with the 6.7 HO Cummins and they are 410 HP and 1000 FT LBS of torque. Our engines have a larger displacement and in theory, can produce much more power. Everything on these trucks is massive when compared to a 1 ton truck. The axles, driveline, brakes, etc. How can an MT654CR Allison not handle what a modern but much lighter duty transmission can? I will have them tune it to around 300 HP and about 900-1000 FT LBS of torque. I know over that everyone says that things will break above that but my question is....why? Is it the weight of the truck coupled with the power in comparison of a 1 ton or is it something else? Just curious.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
600 series transmissions are rated up to 275hp and 700 ft lbs. That is probably a conservative rating of 10 or 20% under spec. I mean it will handle the power if you are using your head along with your foot.

I never got more than 30k miles with the Allison's in my 5 ton. They just burned up.

74M35A2

It is easier to get power using a modern 4 valve EFI engine with VGT and charge air cooler vs an old 2 valve mechanical engine with just a simple yet hot aftercooler. The EFI can spray 5 separate pulses per combustion event, to reduce noise, emissions, increase power, cold startability, etc...

Also modern transmissions have an engine torque reduction request circuit for every shift. The engine torque is brought way down for a short time during the gear change, then restored once the shift is completed. This adds huge life margin and power capability to transmissions today.

Longevity will depend on your load. Empty truck and no trailer? Should last a long time.

Keep us posted. You should get some good gains out of it that really increase the fun level of driving it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks