• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case slips out of low

JasonS

I just swapped out my non functioning sprag for another sprag. The good news is that the sprag works but the transfer case slips out of low range on occasion. It seems to do it under low load such as between shifts. I have noticed that it takes very little movement of the lever for it to slip out of low. The detend just isn't enough to keep it engaged. I am wondering if it is out of adjustment and isn't engaging far enough into low. The shift fork in the transfer case can be slid on the shaft for adjustment but I can't find the information about the correct position. Any ideas?

JasonS

Well, the shift fork apparently has a hole which mates with a set screw on the fork so there isn't any adjusting to be done. The detent seems a little weak so maybe that can be improved on. Otherwise I will have to put the good sprag drive on the original transfer case... What is a fair price for a good air shift?

Monster Man

SOrry to hear about the slipping probs, afraid that's a little beyond my knowledge.

But, if you go air shift, be sure to factor in the whole new case- the internals differ beyond the front output cover, plus you'll need to run air lines. YOu should consider the Memphis Equipment REB shift kit, it replaces the sprag with a stack of gears, and all you have to do is add a new shift lever. 100% positive 6x6 whenever you need it. Runs about $480, but well worth it.

JasonS

It is coming back out. I will try to use the sprag/front section from one transfer case and the main section from the original transfer case. I can get a complete sprag transfer case locally for $100 and may go that route if I can't piece the two together successfully. Or, I can always add the reb kit later on without removing the transfer case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks