• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case woes...

airmech3839

Well I have been nursing a transfer case leak for a couple of months and filling the fluid regularly and then it started making some noise. I have tried to look in through the fill hole but could not see anything. Well while driving home and accelerating up a hill the Hi-Lo handle pops out.... and all drive ceases. She was in netural... So I costed to the side. left her running and hopped out and made sure that she had not come apart. Looks like no holes or massive fluid leaks. so I climb back in and try to re-engage the hi. It seemed to be not wanting to stay up. I was able to get it to work by holding it up physically by hand. I only had about 2 miles to the house so I put hazards on and pulled away and shifted cautiously with my left hand. I got it home and have yet to go out to the truck. The handle stayed in the Hi position after I got her parked. I may be looking at a new transfer case. Am I right?

Tracy

airmech3839

I am trying to get a guy here in town to quote me a replacement and or rebuild. I have seen them average for about $300.... just gotta get the cash and the trasmission jack and some spare time! and a buddy or three!! some strong backs and weak minds if you follow me!!:D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/20809-transfer-case-jumping-out.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/55553-diagnosing-bad-transfer-case.html (see post #7)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5059-air-shift-transfer-case-rebuild-related-questions.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/36356-airshift-transfer-repair-replace.html

There is a very good thread out there that Gringeltaube authored explaining why these loose high range, but I'd have to keep looking to find it.

Short answer: A new high range gear set may be necessary.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

airmech3839

Thanks guys..... so it is a new to me TC in my future! :(

My bearings are probably shot since she sounds like a blender with ice in it some of the time.

airmech3839

Well talked to a guy today who said he has most of the parts to rebuild one but he could only give me a guess as to how much it would cost to rebuild. He said it could be somewhere around $500 to rebuild or more...aua..... I was liking the way the $300 take outs were looking. Anyone here got any near Augusta, GA that they know are pretty good and reasonably priced???

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd just get one of the recently released rebuilt ones. Seen them for $800.

airmech3839

for $800 I would buy the parts and rebuild myself. The guy here in town has the parts in stock. I could rebuild it but would it be better to try and find a fairly cheap take out?

airmech3839

well I got to work on the transfer case some today.. Here is what I found....

I accessed the inspection cover on top of transfer case and found out why my vent was not working.... gasket did not have a cutout in it for the vent.... once I got the gasket out of the way looked down inside as best as I could and saw that the brass colored wheel inside has some areas on it that look like thay have been beat with a hammer... The teeth on the gear however look great and do not apear to be damaged... So what is that brass colored wheel called.. My TM is not loading due to a Adobe error so if someone who is knowledgable could chime in I would be grateful.

Attachments

airmech3839

I got the drive shafts off the front of the transfer case and also got the air and speedo cables loose. I will hopefuly get the rear shaft off and start the dismounting sometime tomorrow. I will then get it out and cleaned up before I split the case.

airmech3839

I had to work this weekend so I have not gotten back to the truck to do anything else. I would like to know what the brass colored gear/wheel that is in the middle of the High and low syncro gears is called. I will try and remember to get the PDF manual open at work. My adobe reader at the house has a load error and will not let me open PDFs.aua

wbdodgeiv

I took out my air shift xfer case, broke it down, broke down a sprag xfer case, moved the input shaft from the sprag to the air shift and put it all back together in about 2 days not including waiting for the replacement to get here. I used a 4x4 through the windshield and chain fall method to remove the case.

Worst part by far was getting the case bolted back in place, really had to wrestle with the bolts as none wanted to line up. It was also a pita to move the xfer case around once it was out by myself, I would remove the spare tire to make it easier to get it out from under the truck. I set it on a hand truck and was able to just pull it out of under the truck.

I made a lifting eye from some angle iron I had laying around that bolted to the inspection cover holes. If I can find it, you are welcome to it.

airmech3839

Wow thanks... What would cause the brass colored spacer or collar to get damaged... and not the high syncro gear teeth.. I was thinking the syncro gear would be chewed up from other reports.. I will certainly have fun trying to drop the t-case and I really appreciate you input and ideas on removal.. I will look at doing that.. I am going to look for a chain winch and some wood to use as a beam.. that sounds like the best plan... and use a creeper for my mobility cart on the ground.

Any special tooling that I might need to split case and change out parts?

wbdodgeiv

I would recommend an impact gun with an extension, there are a lot of bolts to take out. You will need a 1 1/2" socket for the impact for getting the drive flanges off, the impact makes it much easier. Holding the flange can also be tricky, I bolted a flat bar to it but others have used a pipe wrench or channel locks to hold it.

Other wise it is just really heavy and unstable, be careful.

wbdodgeiv

Yeah, I had to use a puller to remove the drive flanges from the output/input shafts. Once you take those off the rest comes apart pretty easily. The TM is pretty easy to follow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks